2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My fingers were itching to do something with my new camera. So I opened up the Honda Civic key fob.

Here are the pictures for you to enjoy, some (most) photo's are altered to obscure numbers/features that might let other people order a replacement key of my car (which would be a bad thing)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
The black background on my key fob is scratching off leaving a white background, so the white numbers are now unreadable. Anyone else have this? Will I need these numbers if I ever need to order a replacement key, or are the numbers inside the fob too. I do have a spare key with the numbers still intact, maybe I should write them down in case they start to disappear too :confused:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Pointless but interesting! Thanks!
Not if you consider that you could mate the PCB to the inside of a VW Flip key, and have the key cut to match your Honda. Then you have the modded flip key that people so desire [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
127 Posts
The black background on my key fob is scratching off leaving a white background, so the white numbers are now unreadable. Anyone else have this? Will I need these numbers if I ever need to order a replacement key, or are the numbers inside the fob too. I do have a spare key with the numbers still intact, maybe I should write them down in case they start to disappear too :confused:
Those numbers have nothing to do with a replacement key.

What you need is the white plastic card with the 4 digits & barcode that came with the key.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts

Just peeled the sticker off my key yesterday. It had become practically all white, with no recognizable letters or numbers on it. As misterpro said, don't worry. They aren't needed when ordering a new key. I'm not sure if they are needed at all. Maybe to help Honda identify which car the keys belong to if someone finds them and actually does the decent thing.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Does the circuit board not touch the key then? Is the code for the ignition sent wirelessly (over a VERY short distance?) or does it go down the metal of the key like I thought?

Would the key work with no battery in? I know the auto lock/unlock doesn't work, but would the rest?

Finally, are we sure the numbers on the key aren't all the same? Maybe a couple of us could post the numbers to a trusted member and we could compare?

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Does the circuit board not touch the key then? Is the code for the ignition sent wirelessly (over a VERY short distance?) or does it go down the metal of the key like I thought?

Would the key work with no battery in? I know the auto lock/unlock doesn't work, but would the rest?
Yes, the signal is sent wirelessly. There should be a passive transponder embedded in the fob somewhere. Can't see it in these pictures so may take mine apart for a look later. There should be a coil antenna near the ignition switch which powers up the transponder which then transmits its code over the short range back to that coil. This is independent of the central locking functions. Thus the key would (should!) work to disarm the immobiliser without a battery or a flat battery.

·
Resident Medic!
191 Posts
Nice one skippy, was just about to say the same thing. I had this explained to me to this a few years back by one of a rare breed of enlightened Renault dealers I have met.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
No worries Medicsource.

I used to work with this sort of thing, but it's been a while! :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the signal is sent wirelessly. There should be a passive transponder embedded in the fob somewhere. Can't see it in these pictures so may take mine apart for a look later. There should be a coil antenna near the ignition switch which powers up the transponder which then transmits its code over the short range back to that coil. This is independent of the central locking functions. Thus the key would (should!) work to disarm the immobiliser without a battery or a flat battery.
I really didn't see a coil antenna anywhere, the PCB doesn't touch the key either. I might do some experiments with the key as well, like:

- Try it with the battery removed
- Try it with just the key part (without the electronic device in the key)

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
The tranpsonder will be quite small. The 'wegde' ones I worked with 10 years ago were <10mm long and all in a moulded black enclosure. There are others in slim glass envelopes around the size of long-grain rice. It is also quite possible that they are moulded into the key housing.

Things have probably moved on a bit since then, although it is likely that the transponders still operate in the same band, knowing car manufacturers. ;)

I'll have a look tonight if I get chance

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
ill keep a eye on these threads because if its safe and easy to di i want a flip key so much easyer and smarter.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Is the metal key permantly stuck to the plastic of the shell??

·
Registered
18 Posts
haha i have a remote control light switch for a lamp post in my back garden which i can remotely switch it on or off from a remote control.

heheh heres the fun part

when ever i lock my car the light switches OFF!!! hehehe at first i thought my folks at home were messing around. but eventually i found out it was my key fob!!! lolz

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
haha i have a remote control light switch for a lamp post in my back garden which i can remotely switch it on or off from a remote control.

heheh heres the fun part

when ever i lock my car the light switches OFF!!! hehehe at first i thought my folks at home were messing around. but eventually i found out it was my key fob!!! lolz
lol how funny is that. Must be the same frequency...

You will need to worry if you switch your garden light and it unlocks your car!!! haha

1 - 20 of 43 Posts