2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very englightening post from Rob Mitchell on the CTRO Facebook group (All credit to him!): https://www.facebook.com/groups/civictyperowners/permalink/10155815488051540/

For the sake of posterity:
Rob's Facebook post said:
Hi all, I had a spare MyHonda dongle so I would thought I would show you the insides of one, the unit is made by Bright Box Europe SA. The unit is basically a GPS reviver with a GSM (3G) data hub so it can send the CAN data for the MyHonda app to work. The unit gets OTA firmware updates to support new features and also has an inbuilt accelerometer to detect if you have a crash and then the Contact centre calls you to ask if you are ok. The unit doesn’t have a battery and is powered from the vehicles 12v supply. It takes a micro SIM card; it features 2 status LED’s (these aren’t very visible with the cover on due to the black masking sticker covering them. The brown square on top is the GPS receiver and the bottom has the GSM antennas. The SIM cards come preinstalled if anyone wondered and are linked to the carrier POST Luxembourg.

Hope that helps with those interested 👍
And to allay fears of snooping;
Rob's Comment said:
yes in my opinion they are worth it you get a tracker for free for 3 years. We as dealers don’t have access to the data and I haven’t in any warranty claim seem anything rejected because of MyHonda data. Remember if you have a crash and are unconscious in your car they use the MyHonda dongle to locate the car and rescue you. 100% worth it
I've attached the photos for posterity.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Thanks for that. Interesting. But it's strange that they seem to be able to get the GPS to work when it's tucked away in the bowels of the footwell, but can't get the GPS mapping to work reliably.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
My new phone running Android Pie has put the MyHonda app to bed.

It installs but won't run.

Tries to open but immediately closes.

TBH not fussed, never really used it and it's working on the tablet running Oreo.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Must just be my combination.

Stock Galaxy S10, unlocked. All others apps AOK.

After 2 consecutive attempts I get an Android popup with 3 options, that I forget. Last one was 'send feedback' that I've done.

The only possible use I can think of is tracking the car if it ever gets nicked. If that happened I'd use the tablet.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared cache and data to no avail.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
S10? Have you come into some money that you haven't told me about, or something K?
My lowly S9+ is OK.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Just fancied updating the old HTC M9 that was showing its age.

All up and running. Just a few awkward apps that needed some tweaking via a plethora of sub menus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts