2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I am going to install a dash camera to my vehicle as I have the front plastic removed from the underneath drivers steering wheel as I just did a switchback indicator install so now when everything is dismantled I could tackle my Dash Camera install. Only one problem is has anyone else installed a dash camera and where have you placed yours as if it is placed behind the rear view mirror the window wiper blades do not sweep in that particular area so I have asked Grey fox for advice as he did just that but his advice was follow his install technique but if you then look at Greyfox install his is placed right behind the rear view mirror, I did e mail Grey fox and he did advise not to install the das camera where the wiper blades do not sweep as water droplets and dirt will obscure the video but the civic is designed with a shorter wiper blade on the passenger side & it in no way reaches far enough to place the video camera in the rear view mirror location and then the dash camera would have to be placed half way down the window which would be both illegal and would obscure my driving ability not to mention it looking ridiculous.

So anyone with any ideas?

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mine is behind my rear view mirror. No problems so far.
Thank you for your reply do you have any pictures you could send of it in situ, as I'm thinking of doing this job tomorrow, so your cam is right behind the rear view mirror if so tell me does your wiper blade not sweep in that area or does it not matter that the wiper blade does not sweep in that area of where your dash camera is.

Thank you

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is behind the mirror also but it does hang out a bit...

See http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/108812-dashcam-14.html#post1842686
Hey thank you ever so much for the link and install guide very informative and most welcome indeed. Only thing is it will not be a good idea for me to install my dash camera at the rear view mirror as this video shows clearly the video is as good as useless if the dash camera is placed anywhere that is not included in the window wiper sweep, and my window wiper do not extend that far up the window the drivers side is pretty high but the passengers is fairly short and right where the rear view mirror is that is where neither window wiper sees to want to sweep, boo, boohoo.

These two videos clearly show a lot of less than perfect video recording I think it has to be in the window wiper sweep which means having it further down the window, I'll have to play about with it tomorrow with the window washer in operation to simulate rain to see where is the best position.

Did you know dash camera with a video screen so you can view your videos is illegal in the UK and is punishable under our laws and you could be charged under the dangerous driving act if you are caught doing so.

See the link below, looks like I'll have my dash camera in the pink windscreen area.

Suction Mounted Car Cameras

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Hey thank you ever so much for the link and install guide very informative and most welcome indeed. Only thing is it will not be a good idea for me to install my dash camera at the rear view mirror as this video shows clearly the video is as good as useless if the dash camera is placed anywhere that is not included in the window wiper sweep, and my window wiper do not extend that far up the window the drivers side is pretty high but the passengers is fairly short and right where the rear view mirror is that is where neither window wiper sees to want to sweep, boo, boohoo.

These two videos clearly show a lot of less than perfect video recording I think it has to be in the window wiper sweep which means having it further down the window, I'll have to play about with it tomorrow with the window washer in operation to simulate rain to see where is the best position.

Did you know dash camera with a video screen so you can view your videos is illegal in the UK and is punishable under our laws and you could be charged under the dangerous driving act if you are caught doing so.

See the link below, looks like I'll have my dash camera in the pink windscreen area.

Suction Mounted Car Cameras

DashViewFRONT - YouTube

Dashview - YouTube
I can assure you that where mine is placed I don't have any problems with the wiper. I have auto wipers and I believe they are a little longer but wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.

As for the legality, the screen turns off after 20 secs of driving. I also fail to see how it's any different to popping your sat nav / phone cradle on your windscreen? Interesting link, but I don't think mine would extend more than 4cm into the area, it only just pokes out from behind the mirror.

Reactions: Creiborum

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can assure you that where mine is placed I don't have any problems with the wiper. I have auto wipers and I believe they are a little longer but wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.

As for the legality, the screen turns off after 20 secs of driving. I also fail to see how it's any different to popping your sat nav / phone cradle on your windscreen? Interesting link, but I don't think mine would extend more than 4cm into the area, it only just pokes out from behind the mirror.
Hey my thoughts exactly and I have a 7 inch screen as I now installed a Pioneer AVH 8600BT head unit and also I have a sat nav that sits on my right as you say interesting read inst it, does not make sense to me at all.

So your dash camera is right behind the rear view mirror interesting analysis but the two videos I have linked show rain right in the view which to a certain extent obscure the video view, I'll play about with it to see which is the best position, if yours is ok in that area your wiper blades must be a hell of a lot longer if you do not see rain or dirt on the windscreen, I have just been down and sprayed the squsiher and the area of un wiped area behind the rear view mirror is by quite a margin it must be 4 to 6 inches I would have to drop it by quite a bit to be in range of the window wiper sweep and in no wa could I palced it behind the rear view mirror as that is where i would like to place it ideally but unfortunately thsi is not the case which I have to think will it stick out like a sore thumb being that low on the window if it is then I will maybe place it on the drivers side as the wiper sweeps much higher and it might work there rather than in the middle of the window where it was intended to be placed. What a bummer, EH!.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Hey my thoughts exactly and I have a 7 inch screen as I now installed a Pioneer AVH 8600BT head unit and also I have a sat nav that sits on my right as you say interesting read inst it, does not make sense to me at all.

So your dash camera is right behind the rear view mirror interesting analysis but the two videos I have linked show rain right in the view which to a certain extent obscure the video view, I'll play about with it to see which is the best position, if yours is ok in that area your wiper blades must be a hell of a lot longer if you do not see rain or dirt on the windscreen
It depends which side of the mirror you go. Drivers side, the wipers clear a lot more of the screen. Those videos look like they maybe had the camera passenger side which means you can hide the camera slightly better but you need to position it lower to clear the wipers. Try both and see which is best for you.

Reactions: Creiborum

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It depends which side of the mirror you go. Drivers side, the wipers clear a lot more of the screen. Those videos look like they maybe had the camera passenger side which means you can hide the camera slightly better but you need to position it lower to clear the wipers. Try both and see which is best for you.
Hey you are correct drivers side is workable & you are correct to say passenger side is where the window does not sweep, well I'll play about with it and upload some pictures of the install. I will take on board what you have explained to me which I thank you for as your advice has been most welcome.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my fitting guide on a 9G civic and I have to say the video quality is very good http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-9g/119080-how-fit-9g-civic-dash-cam.html
I had a look at your how to and see you attached your cam to the rear view mirror, which gives you greater scope for wiper sweep but my cam has to be placed on the window so might use scotch lock velcro as it locks and there should be no movement meaning shaking dash cam footage then at MOT time I can remove it just in case the test center fails my motor vehicle, for having it stuck where they think is inappropriate..

I might do a how to with my dash cam install, it is just I like to do a good quality in depth install with lots of pictures and that takes time, which I have very little of these days. As I have half the front dash ripped out may as well do this install before I put everything back.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine is stuck in front of the mirror and has a base so you can slide the camera of the base if you wish to remove this
Yes mine also can be removed by a quick release but it leaves behind the holder stuck to the window this is what I will remove by using locking velcro as our mot test centre is very strict and they could argue what is it you have stuck there right on the window, what they do not see does them no harm then the window is clear of all obstacles so no questions to answer. Crafty EH.

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i'm going to do this install I'll report back alter with pictures and final installation. Thank you to everyone who has replied that is very welcome and I do appreciate all your input has helped me greatly..

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok got the dash camera fitted working and most importantly have it within the sweep area on the drivers side, I also used a power Magic pro as this wee device can customise the amount of time the Finevu runs for. You can set it from 6 hrs to cut off the power so it does not drain the cars battery to infinity or you can switch it off completely if you are parked up say in your garage so I now have the best of both worlds as it will no longer drain the battery while the car is not running if I do not need it to be on.

I connected the Power Magic pro to the constant + so it is always on for car recording and stuck a 2amp fuse in fuse holder 27. As I leave my car a lot while I'm not in it so it will record anything that happens while I'm away hopefully.

I installed it within the window wiper sweep area on the drivers side and it now mean there will be no interference from the falling rain dirt or mud, I spent some considerable time to get this spot just right and it will not interfere with my driving at night either as the leds on the back will be out of sight as I know thsi is a problem of the FineVu CR 500 HD. A big thank you to Tw1stid for advice on cam placement. With patience and determination anyone can do this install themselves with the help from the members on Civic Forums I don't imagine I could have even attempted such a thing on my own. So thank you to all the Civic Forum members who gave advice it is very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
That's a beast of a camera.... Does it record in 4k?

I wouldn't worry about the screen being in drivers view or blinking LEDs.... Plenty of devices and gadgets have screens. Police are not going to hunt you down ;)

The law is there primarily to stop people watching TV/DVDs whilst driving.

Here's a pic from mine which is behind the mirror....

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Put it as much in the shade as possible. Direct sunlight may spoil your camera. Use black vinyl sticker for marking if needed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts