2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys have a problem with my instrument panel, the car had been laying up for about 2-3 months nothing was wrong with it before. Started the car up today to take it for a drive and the instrument panel was just non stop flickering on and off I have took a quick video of it happening if anyone has any ideas of what is going on here would appreciate the advice thanks in advance.

Video

·
Super Moderator
2,248 Posts
Have you checked the battery?
If it was laid up did you keep the battery topped up by trickle charge or running the engine to charge it?

If you take it for a long run to refresh the battery see what it does after that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was laid up did you keep the battery topped up by trickle charge or running the engine to charge it?

If you take it for a long run to refresh the battery see what it does after that
I didn't start it up while it was laying up, I did take it for like a 30 minute drive yesterday and the same problem is occurring. I will swap it out for a good battery out of another car and see if that has any impact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Took the car on a long run for about a hour today same thing is still happening. Also checked the battery with a multimeter today and is giving of 12.3. I don't think the problem lays with the battery. Is there anything else you can think of maybe some kind of lose connection bad relay or earth?

Also I will add, the front bumper was removed to get a respray when this happened was the only thing done with the car. Is there any connection around that area that could do this

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,248 Posts
Only thing I can think of is to check that both battery terminals are tight and making good contact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only thing I can think of is to check that both battery terminals are tight and making good contact.
I had disconnected the battery last night for a reset and connected them again and still had the same problem and they are on good and tight

·
Super Moderator
2,248 Posts
Beats me then.
Visit to an auto-electrician on the cards?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might have found a fix
1.8 petrol
Going though the elimination process and bought a decent battery first (yuasa ybx5053) and cleaned the terminal on the car. Took the ground strap off aswell and cleaned the area where it connects to the chassis with a wire brush and the fault as gone. Battery must have not been giving a good enough signal to the bcm or something

Hope this fixes yours

·
Registered
1 Posts
My ’09 Type R has developed similar symptoms to the original post with the instruments switching off and on.
In my case, the car starts and runs fine but every 25 seconds the instruments go blank and go to zero and then immediately come back on and return to their previous positions.
  • I’ve fitted a new battery (which I keep connected to a Noco Genius battery tender)
  • I’ve removed all the battery leads and cleaned them all (including the negative to the chassis connection)
  • The re-setting continues even if the engine has been running for some time and even when driving.
  • It seems like a relay is clicking out, removing all the instrument power before immediately clicking back in.
Anyone have any other ideas please?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ’09 Type R has developed similar symptoms to the original post with the instruments switching off and on.
In my case, the car starts and runs fine but every 25 seconds the instruments go blank and go to zero and then immediately come back on and return to their previous positions.
  • I’ve fitted a new battery (which I keep connected to a Noco Genius battery tender)
  • I’ve removed all the battery leads and cleaned them all (including the negative to the chassis connection)
  • The re-setting continues even if the engine has been running for some time and even when driving.
  • It seems like a relay is clicking out, removing all the instrument power before immediately clicking back in.
Anyone have any other ideas please?
Anyone got a fix?
New battery worked for a week and it's currently doing the flickering again?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts