2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Insurance Copmanies

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Glass Spider 
#1 ·
Hi all.

This thread is not about how much you pay for your insurance but how satisfied you are with the insurance company.....how helpful they are, how quick to sort out any problems etc, and how much does your policy go up for the second year.
Is it worth sticking with the same company or switching every year to hopefully find a better deal.
I dont mind paying a little extra if I feel the service is better and they are not going to try to screw me everytime I renew.
So I'd like to hear which companies you have had both good and bad experiences with (no need for details) and if you'd use them again.

Cheers, Gary

#2 ·
How do Gary. I work in the Insurance claims industry, TBH all insurers are as good or as bad as each other. Policyholders will praise a certain insurer, yet another will complain about them. There are no "good" or "bad" insurers IMO. If you are happy with yours & the premium is acceptable then stick with them.

#4 ·
Policyholders will praise a certain insurer, yet another will complain about them. There are no "good" or "bad" insurers IMO.
I'm sure that some of that comes down to the person dealing with your claim, far more than the insurer as a whole, and also the expectations and demands of the customer hehe.

So it's worth just going with the cheapest quote providing the cover is the same
Sounds sensible to me.

#5 ·
I would always go with the most competative quote providing the cover matches my needs. But others will pay more money to go with a company they have heard of.

eg I know someone who paid £120 to go with Aviva as they had heard of them. Yet £120 was a company called MMA who they had not heard of.

They are all regulated by the FSA, so IMO I would always go for the cheapest, providing the cover was what I wanted.

#8 ·
I also work in the insurance industry and have to disagree with Shaunw as claim repudiation rates differ across the industry ie some insurers decline more claims than others. - for example if you go over the annual mileage you indicate whenatking the cover out some will try and delcine the claim whilst others will simply ask you to pay the additional premium you would have been charged if you have out the higher mileage on the proposal form. This also applies to some modifications etc. Across the industry there is also different upheld rates for complaints that go to the insurance ombudsman. ie those with low upheld rates have a lot of complaints that go to the ombudsman where the insurer is forced to change its decision in favour of the customer. So IMO all insurers are not the same

#10 ·
I had interesting experience with Direct line recently, other half had renewal quote come through, and when compared with others using compare the market, the renewal was £350 more, so phoned up DL, and they got it down by £320 just by putting in her full post code, apparently they only had the first part of the post code for the location the car is kept, shocking i thought!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.