2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i double checked my admiral insurance policy for changing my oem honda disc and pads to ebc turbogroove and green stuff pads. it will cost me extra 14.84 to add to my policy, is this normal guys? you would think they would charge less for putting better brakes on the car :confused:.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
i think that would be an admin charge rather then a charge for changing disks, ie next time your insurance is due it shouldnt cost you anymore then as standard.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
i think you would be ok with pads just changing disk that look different, as it would be an easy spot is you had to make a claim

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe you guys are right about admin charge for adding modification in my policy.

tomo2001, er on the side of caution mate, it is wiser to tell/query whatever you do to your car so that they dont' have any wriggle room when you are making a claim.

I just can't believe, maybe not, milking your customer just so that they would be safer on the road.

·
TIMMEH!!!!!!
580 Posts
Its a admin charge,

I go for insurance with admiral multicar and with a few mods on the type r that have to be notified it was no extra just pay for a admin charge. Tell them everything then they don't have any comeback against you.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
i'm with "more than" and a modification to them is one which increases BHP top speed and acceleration happy days for minor upgrades for me :p

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Right, stop getting hardons , and making own rules up, insurance will only up there policy if it increases BHP, changing brake pads and disc will not effect your premium , if anything it's safer to upgrade the discs! And you have to change them at some point! A claim would not be void if you have different discs, thers a lot if nonsense getting told on the forum theses days, an I dont know why,

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Right, stop getting hardons , and making own rules up, insurance will only up there policy if it increases BHP, changing brake pads and disc will not effect your premium , if anything it's safer to upgrade the discs! And you have to change them at some point! A claim would not be void if you have different discs, thers a lot if nonsense getting told on the forum theses days, an I dont know why,
Hey.

Sorry buddy but I think you're wrong in your assumption, you're basically altering the car from its stock configuration and in turn increasing the cost of the components needed to put said car back on the road should the worst happen. This is why there is sometimes a higher premium to pay, not because of the performance increase as such but the extra costs involved to replace the better parts.

Also bear in mind that if you hit someone from behind and have not declared your new, shiny brakes will the insruance company use the line of "oh, their none standard parts were they working properly?".
Or what if you had to do an emergency stop when someone walked out in front of you?

Some insurers are better than others with mods and let them on the policy without incuring extra charges, but soem are not and do not even entertain anything none standard being fitted to cars.

I do agree that these type of mods make for safer driving, but a mod is a mod.

I think at the end of the day anything which alters the car from the way it was when it left the factory needs to be declared to be on the safe side.

Ian

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've put EBC "standard" discs on my R and red stuff pads front and back. Personally I don't see the need to notify them.

It doesn't make the car any more nickable, it doesn't make the car go any faster, and it doesn't make the car worth any more should they have to make a pay out.

I for one won't be declaring something so minor, and I take the same stance with my wind deflectors.

IF However I was going down the route of exhausts, filters, flashpro etc, then I would of course declare it.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
It's all def down to who you insure your car as to what they deem to be a modification. For the sake of a phone call is always worth asking them if you need to notify them of the change, what the cost is etc then you can make the choice of whether you carry out that change.

So many people change things on there cars and don't tell their insurance company and are at risk of having their insurance void. My ex had accident and when ringing up claim got told her insurance was void and had cover all costs, which totalled over 15k she had to find! An insurance company will do anything to get out of paying so don't give them a way of doing it to you.

I know when I went for a quote with swintons years ago and they told me even changing the side indicator lenses from yellow to clear was a modification and would void my insurance if i didn't declare it as it enhanced the look of the car and made it more nickable.

If i want or think of changing something on my car I always check first, then make choice going off what they say, least I know my insurance is valid covering not only me, my car but other people on the road. Cause just imagine being hit by someone who has there insurance voided your then left trying take that person to court etc to get your car repaired and worse case injuries to yourself.

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
I was told that these items are consumables... like bulbs etc.
Otherwise you're saying that if you haven't declared that you aren't using genuine Honda brake pads then you are breaking the law by driving uninsured? ...Imagine how many of you just visit Kwik Fit?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
I have atr calipers and 300mm discs on mine and Chris Knot my insurer didn't charge me for it. I am paying £400 a year 33 full no claims SA18 Carmarthenshire post code.

For a type R body kit and FMIC they want £105 extra on top of £400.

Regards

Griffian

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
Honestly, you people saying changing a brake pad is a mod are mad. What about different exhaust pipes(not talking miltek but in 10 years when you have corroded pipes and you go to your local mot place) , tyres, bulbs, oil or even petrol!!!

Consumables are not modifications because most garages dont offer genuine honda parts.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
If an insurance company chares for changing brakes can I ask why you would even be with them, 98% of companies dont care about things like brakes,
I agree with the admin charge bit of your statement. I don't agree with the 98% of companies don't care about changing brakes.

As others have said, you need to declare EVERYTHING. If you don't, then the company has grounds to refuse to pay out in an accident as the policy is void for non disclosure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts