2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Hoping for a steer on how/where to get a decent deal for my son who has just passed his test today.

He's 29yo and has bought a Ford Fiesta 1.4l

I've spent a good while looking for insurance for him but all of the options I've found so far only seem to offer insurance for p to 27 yo.

Anyone help?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

Here's an interesting read. I followed the instructions on there and managed to get a quote for £1400 when everyone else was quoting me £2000-£3000
Yeah, he's done that and it seems having me on the policy has saved him a few quid - cheers.

He's just got a quote from wisedriving which is about 100 quid cheaper than the rest.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just looked at some online reviews of wisedriving and they don't look too good. They are around 100 quid a month cheaper and I'm wondering why.

anyone have any experience of them?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Yeah fully comp worked out cheaper for me aswel 3rd party was much more expensive

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Please read the small print on the comparison site quotes.

They are reknown for cutting cover to reduce quotes to be in the top five hits.

Often you are just paying for a cover note, don't expect to successfully claim unless you have a 100% T&C valid claim. And then they often wriggle and delay.

·
Vendor
367 Posts
Yeah fully comp worked out cheaper for me aswel 3rd party was much more expensive
The thinking is that drivers only wanting TPF&T aren't bothered about their own cars so that suggests they'll MAYBE drive differently.

It's also worth trying quotes with 'parked on road' instead of 'driveway' for overnight parking arrangements. Some insurers prefer 'parking on the road' because it doesn't indicate which house needs breaking into for the keys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having only recently passed and got my first car I've just been through all of this.

I looked at the comparison sites and then also looked on places that aren't on the comparison sites. Being 30+ may have helped me a little but I managed to get my 12 months insurance for £843 with Aviva for a 1.8 2011 ES-T. A few of the comparison site quotes were around that price but they were either companies I hadn't heard of, weren't particularly reputable and all wanted a black box fitted. The average cost with anyone decent was about £1400, so I was pretty pleased when I saw what Aviva were asking.

A few things that helped (because I played with these variables):
- Having my dad with his 30+ years no-claims as a named driver
- The car being parked in a garage or on a drive and not on the road
- Toying with different job titles because there wasn't a precise match listed. Usually there were two that were close enough, but out of those two, one always resulted in a slightly cheaper quote

1 - 12 of 12 Posts