2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For those who have had their cars remapped have you had to declare to your insurance providers that you car has been modified with a remap?

Or have you just simply kept quite?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Elephant did put me down on performance increase:
0-10% = no change
11-25% = £70 extra
26+ = error!...error!...error!

Just gotta word it right at some companies try to put your remap into a different category which makes things dearer.

If you don't declare it, then if found out they can void yr policy if you have a crash....£70 ain't much extra to have piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Kept quite , it was mapped while under warranty and honda never noticed so don't see how insurance co would find out

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Keep quiet and you are effectively driving round uninsured.

If you car is ever scrutinised after a serious accident for any reason, you are in deep "poo".

There are enough uninsured drivers on the roads as it is.

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
I had no trouble with this in my last car, still had work done under warranty with the remap. Told my insurance company they weren't bothered. Told them all about it and made no difference still cost the same. Maybe due to it being an Eco remap which gave good performance too. ;-)

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I tried to convince my insurer that my DTuk box an my Astra was a fuel saving device (as it is indeed marketed as such)
They weren't having any of it & said they would not isure me with one fitted.
Mind you it did give over 40bhp increase :vroam:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Not much of an increase for me.

I can't see an insurer scrutinising your ecu for a remap unless you crashed whilst driving like an absolute bellend

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Not much of an increase for me.

I can't see an insurer scrutinising your ecu for a remap unless you crashed whilst driving like an absolute bellend
Mine wasn't much of an increase

Think your right, unless it's a fatal crash or you hit something seriously expensive then don't think they'll take your car to bits

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
£12 for stage 2 EGR off remap with LV for 2.2

Not much more for FN2 either.

Simply not worth the risk. A major crash or fatality and the insurance company will look to get out of paying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Direct Line will NOT cover me with a remap to me 2.2, because it is over 20% (140 to 180 is approximately 28%)

Just got a quote from LV which was £363 before any modification... £431 with the remap (£58 increase). Then I mentioned that it would also need an upgraded clutch... which bumps it to £516 (another £85!!!!!).

I'm told it's because it comes under "body work" (huh?!?)... I tried to explain that surely the engine power increase is the important thing here, but apparently not!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
You obviously got the wrong person! Just go on the LV website and tick the engine management change - there's no need to input power increase etc.

I have a Kevlar clutch and there's no need to declare it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You obviously got the wrong person! Just go on the LV website and tick the engine management change - there's no need to input power increase etc.

I have a Kevlar clutch and there's no need to declare it.
It would appear so - I will give them another go tomorrow when I have more time (I've wasted enough working time today already as it is).

I simply couldn't believe it when I was told £85 for the clutch... just madness, especially when classed as "bodywork".

·
Registered
70 Posts
It would appear so - I will give them another go tomorrow when I have more time (I've wasted enough working time today already as it is).

I simply couldn't believe it when I was told £85 for the clutch... just madness, especially when classed as "bodywork".
Just spoken to them again, and this time it's even worse... because the clutch is being done as well as the remapping, they will not insure me.

What the hell is going on?!?!?!

Please can somebody point me in the direction of an insurance company who actually knows something about cars??

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Better to do it online. Anyway, try Chris Knott or Greenlight - they're on the forum.

I have my Type R insured with Chris Knott.

Reactions: freefaller

·
V-Tech Junkie
288 Posts
My mate has just has his Accord remapped. He asked the same question to the guy who did the remap (a reputable company by the way and not a back street job) and he said the only way to tell if its been remapped is to drive it. If you crash and its not driveable then whos to know. Im neither condeming nor condoning this, so at the end of the day its up to the individual

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,864 Posts
Bingo... just arranged a policy with Greenlight. :)

Had a friendly chat with one of their guys, and I've got a cheaper premium with the mods than I had with Direct Line without the mods.

Highly recommended
Glad to hear it. So roughly how much extra might a "typical" (i.e. stage 1) remap whack onto your premium then?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glad to hear it. So roughly how much extra might a "typical" (i.e. stage 1) remap whack onto your premium then?
Difficult to say... Direct Line refused to cover me with the mapping (because it increased the power by 28%, over their 20% maximum)... my premium was £420 originally.

LV quoted £363 without mods, £431 with mapping, but refused to cover with the clutch on top of that (although the first time I rang them, they quoted me £516 with the clutch... it was a later call that I got the refusal).

Greenlight quoted £385 with all mods.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts