2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not a question about insurance but I was just getting some quotes for a 2.2 CDTi and out of curiousity thought I'd scroll down to the bottom ...

2008 car, 55 years old full no claims etc, I don't think I've even heard of some of those companies, would they really think anyone would choose that! :oops:

Azure Font Water Screenshot Electronic device

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,306 Posts
I've seen those stupid quotes as posted. What sort of driver gets a sensible quote. How do they stay in business.

· i-Dtec
6,309 Posts
Funny enough we talking about those mega quotes at work the last week, wonder how they come to those figures? Interestingly car insurance about the only thing not going up at the moment. Just renewed the wife's and last year she was £153, renewal was £184, Carole Nash through Compare the market got me £138.

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,306 Posts
The other thing with comparison site quotes is to read the small print very carefully.

My broker friend had a potential customer come in for a quote. When he scanned his current policy it revealed that the young driver with a moderately risky car wasn't insured to drive at night. Something not highlighted.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tax on my 1.6 dtec is zero
When I was looking for a car to buy I did wonder about paying more to get a newer diesel as the tax is low, but I was surprised to see that these are still chargable in the ULEZ zones - my sister-in-law lives in London and we visit for xmas and birthdays etc so even with a newer low emissions diesel you still get charges, but my wifes petrol 1.6 Auris that's got high co2 emissons is fine.

Also noticed a lot of newer cars that have small 1.0lt petrol engines that are turbo charged to make some decent power are also quite high on emissions and tax. My mum's 1.4 auto Yaris is £30 a 2018 1.0 Civic is £165

the Gov will have to review "cheap/zero" VED for all vehicles to make up for the lost revenue
I often wonder what's going to happen here, they're encouraging us to get new/electric cars and like you say that'a a lot of tax lost, surely they'll have to tax electric cars in some way in the future, maybe it'll be a pay per mile thing? No emissions (from the vehicle anyway, but still need power to be produced to charge) but they still use the roads so have an impact on wear and tear and congestion.

It was great when I first started driving in early 80s, we all paid the same tax, could almost park anywhere for free, no extra charges for driving into a city, as a 19 year old I could easily afford to insure a Golf GTi, no speed cameras, traffic calming, width restrictions, height restrictions etc etc

· Registered
2,467 Posts
ULEZ is dumb...

I have a 3.0 V6 petrol that is ULEZ apparently because it was manufactured in 2002. If it was made in 2001 then it would suffer the charges despite there being no difference in co2 output.

Plus it's co2 output is 297g/km :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I 'think' anything diesel made after 2017 is ok, I only looked into it breifly but can't afford a newer car at the moment.

ULEZ is dumb - yep, my SIL had a really nice 1.4 diesel Audi A2, lovely little car, had to get rid of it thanks to Sadiq Khan, imagine how many people in the new ULEZ area had to get rid of perfectly good cars!

· Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,306 Posts
It's well known that Londons Ghengis Khan is a car hater and he is trying to make all of the inside of the M25 ULEZ. He has also nearly bankrupted TfL with his wacky multi year fares freezes, travel deals and free travel for many extra groups.

· i-Dtec
6,309 Posts
Road Pricing is definitely the replacement for VED. Successive governments have totally screwed the VED system. I don't know why they couldn't just leave it at a sensible £120 a year for all motor vehicles. Just like abandoning the "Tax Disc" has cost them literally Billions in lost revenue to save £13m. Trust the Tory's to screw up simplistic things.

· Registered
343 Posts
ULEZ is dumb...

I have a 3.0 V6 petrol that is ULEZ apparently because it was manufactured in 2002. If it was made in 2001 then it would suffer the charges despite there being no difference in co2 output.

Plus it's co2 output is 297g/km :ROFLMAO:
ATR's are similar. My Pre isn't ULEZ compliant, but lesser facelifts are???? They have exactly the same engines 2.2L and the same emissions??? o_O

· Registered
208 Posts
Mate at work has a prefacelift 2014 1.6 diesel Civic and pays £0 for 12 months road tax. Jammy Get!!!!!

Getting back to the topic though, I hope my renewal for the FN2 will still be around £340, as it has been for the last four years.

· Registered
6 Posts
Mate at work has a prefacelift 2014 1.6 diesel Civic and pays £0 for 12 months road tax. Jammy Get!!!!! Getting back to the topic though, I hope my renewal for the FN2 will still be around £340, as it has been for the last four years.
My renewal on the Type-R came in at £335 and with the increase in VED in April, for the first time ever with any car, I will be paying more for tax than insurance when both are renewed next month. :sick:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts