2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're picking up the missus new car on Wednesday and we still have to sell her old car which leads me to a question. If the insurance switches to the new car how can potential buyers of the old car take it on a test drive?

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
We're picking up the missus new car on Wednesday and we still have to sell her old car which leads me to a question. If the insurance switches to the new car how can potential buyers of the old car take it on a test drive?
I think the official answer is they can't unless they specifically insure themselves to drive on that car. Its my understanding that the car has to be insured for them to be able to drive it on their insurance and then it's only third party I believe. I hopefully for you stand to be corrected.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right mate, might have to sorn it and sell it from the drive, which isn't ideal. Might have to make it a giveaway price.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I think, even if you still had the car insured for your missus, (or both of you), someone coming to test drive it would not be insured on your policy, unless it was specifically stated in the policy and if they wanted to drive it they would have to arrange their own insurance to do so.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
If you have fully comp insurance and are the policy holder, you can drive any car with the owners permission but cover will only be third party.
Just need to check there insurance before letting them drive.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't the car have to be insured though? The missus will be insured on the new car so the old car insurance will be lapsed.

·
Super Moderator
1,092 Posts
Doesn't the car have to be insured though? The missus will be insured on the new car so the old car insurance will be lapsed.
Yes from what you say this spare car will technically be uninsured, so get it off road and SORN it.
You may be able to insure it for a short term, google "daily car insurance", so you can drive it to demonstrate it to potential buyers.

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, think I'll just get it sorn and buyers will have to either trailer it or get it up and running again. It's a bit of a PITA really :laugh2:

·
i-Vtec
2,221 Posts
Your insurance company will sort temp cover for your old car no issue, but be prepared to be fondled in a not very nice manor. I tried to do it for my last car and they wanted £90 for 1 weeks extra cover. I told them to do one. There are insurance companies who specialize in short duration cover though, google is your friend.

·
Vendor
378 Posts
The usual solution while you sell a car is to keep the old car on the policy for a time as a 'temporary additional vehicle' (usually offered in two week chunks by the insurer). It doesn't cost much to do that (£16 on our policies I think). That means the car is still covered for fire, theft, vandalism and the road risk if you want to use it before sale.

To answer the question about comprehensive insurance which allows Driving Other Cars, not all insurers offer that and you generally have to be over 25. In any case your test driver will only be covered third party - which means you'll get nothing from the insurer if they prang it but at least damage to third parties is covered.

You could control the test drive by setting parameters before you set off and maybe even driving it yourself until you get somewhere safe/remote for the test drive to happen to reduce the risk as far as you practically can but there's no ideal insurance solution for this scenario.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yep I was going to say, even if you have your own insurance, I understand it only covers you fully comp, not 3rd party drivers, unless it's any driver.

I'm guessing maybe this is something the insurance industry needs to address. A Temporary Additional Vehicle option, that offers "Any Driver" cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts