2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of various information on tyre sizes and choosing winter tyres, but cant find anything definitive. Maybe it varies between insurers so there is no common rule.

I'm due to take ownership of the 2015 CTR next week, which comes with 235/35/19 91Y summer tyres as standard fitment.
I'm thinking about getting a second set of cheap alloys with premium branded 225/45/18 91V winter tyres - yes, slightly narrower and smaller diameter with very similar circumference. Bridgestone blizzaks or Goodyear Ultragrips are the most likely brands.

Is the reduction in size & max speed on the winter set something you insurance companies would dislike and grounds to refuse a claim if it came down to it?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Insurance companies are more tolerant of winter tyres now than they used to be. Even so, I was nervous though when I got mine. I haven't told my insurance company I changed them but I did get them supplied and fitted by a Honda dealer (requesting a price match with blackcircle.com). I don't think they can argue if a Honda dealer supplies it. I think most winter tyres have a slower speed rating so that probably isn't a problem. Having different sized wheels may be reducing your grip so I would be careful but I know others here have done it.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Tyres are a perishable item you don't need to tell your insurance. Alloys if you want to but tyres no. Best solution get some genuine honda alloys and bash em on. Don't have to say anything then.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tyres are a perishable item you don't need to tell your insurance. Alloys if you want to but tyres no. Best solution get some genuine honda alloys and bash em on. Don't have to say anything then.
genuine 19" alloys for the FK2 typeR are around £350 each. plus £200/ea per winter tyre on OE size. Somewhere around £2k for a full set.

dropping to 18" will more than half that figure; £360 for a *SET* of cheap alloys, and £130/ea for tyres. around the £850 mark. 18" also has more winter tyre models available; maybe twice the available options than 19".

as you can see, there's a massive difference in costs.

Hopefully one of the insurance companies here can chime in before i ring 'em over the next few days. at least i can plan things accurately before phoning.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
I've seen a lot of various information on tyre sizes and choosing winter tyres, but cant find anything definitive. Maybe it varies between insurers so there is no common rule.

I'm due to take ownership of the 2015 CTR next week, which comes with 235/35/19 91Y summer tyres as standard fitment.
I'm thinking about getting a second set of cheap alloys with premium branded 225/45/18 91V winter tyres - yes, slightly narrower and smaller diameter with very similar circumference. Bridgestone blizzaks or Goodyear Ultragrips are the most likely brands.

Is the reduction in size & max speed on the winter set something you insurance companies would dislike and grounds to refuse a claim if it came down to it?
Your insurer will probably require notification when you switch between summer and winter tyres. Regarding whether the company will charge more or disallow the smaller wheels - the best advice? Ring your insurer and ask them the question. Only they will know what they want.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,859 Posts
Of course you should tell your insurer, this IS a non-standard modification. Don't give them a chance to reject a future claim.

If they try to charge you extra then make a big fuss and threaten to report them... a few years ago this unfair practice was rightly condemned by the ombudsman.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no problem with insurance. the size i plan is what honda are saying to use aswell (they use 18" for winter, 19" for summer tyres)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts