2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else 20 years old with a 2.2?
All insurance prices over the last couple weeks seem to have gone up by £150-£200 :( I am due to renew next month.

Just bought a house and will be moving in with my girlfriend and our son, unbeleivable how much more being a home owner and declaring a child under 16 is! (Would pay ~£600 per anum if I was still living with parents!, cheapest quotes I am getting back are over £900...).

Aviva, DirectLine both come back with stupid prices £1300+. Admiral/Elephant/Bell are cheapest (and also all under the Admiral Group) at just over £900... anyone know of any other cheap insurers for young drivers?

2years NCB
1 Claim (Feb 2010, Noclaims not lost).
Licences held for 3+ years, with pass plus.

help please!

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Anyone else 20 years old with a 2.2?
All insurance prices over the last couple weeks seem to have gone up by £150-£200 :( I am due to renew next month.

Just bought a house and will be moving in with my girlfriend and our son, unbeleivable how much more being a home owner and declaring a child under 16 is! (Would pay ~£600 per anum if I was still living with parents!, cheapest quotes I am getting back are over £900...).

Aviva, DirectLine both come back with stupid prices £1300+. Admiral/Elephant/Bell are cheapest (and also all under the Admiral Group) at just over £900... anyone know of any other cheap insurers for young drivers?

2years NCB
1 Claim (Feb 2010, Noclaims not lost).
Licences held for 3+ years, with pass plus.

help please!
Admiral always sort me out!!!!!! doubt youll find cheaper than them! add your mum to the policy as a named and watch the price drop ;)

But tbh that sounds like a decent quote tbh!

you Just bought a house at 20 well done mate!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Admiral/Bell have been the cheapest for me for the last 3years on this car and my Octavia.

Think i am paying about £700 this year, 23years old, 2years NCD, big crash last year my fault, 3 points and business use.

But then i do live at home so i get that discount ;)

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
my 1.8 is 660 this year at 21 with 4 years ncb and 2 very old people on it (they may know or they may not know theyre one it)

Wish i had my own gaff but tbh id rather rent and not have a baby right now ;)

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Haha same here, although not sure who'd be worse off me with a baby or the baby with me

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Yeah, add a parent as a main driver, reduced mine by quite a bit when I was younger. Cant say I agree with the price increase though, just had my renewal to find mine going from £2,000 to £860

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Yeah, add a parent as a main driver, reduced mine by quite a bit when I was younger. Cant say I agree with the price increase though, just had my renewal to find mine going from £2,000 to £860
I assume you mean named driver. Do not add someone that is not going to drive the car more than you as the main driver, it is fronting and will cause more problems for you.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I assume you mean named driver. Do not add someone that is not going to drive the car more than you as the main driver, it is fronting and will cause more problems for you.
Adding an older main driver doesnt lower the costs anymore also since everyone was doing it its usually cheaper now to add them as a named driver! :)

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
im with admiral im 19 me and my girl friend (same age) are on the same policy think its 2000 i think which is quite cheap considering a few of my mates are paying that on silly 1 litre corsa's :)

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Admiral always sort me out!!!!!! doubt youll find cheaper than them! add your mum to the policy as a named and watch the price drop ;)

But tbh that sounds like a decent quote tbh!

you Just bought a house at 20 well done mate!
Hi Rob

Yeh I have both my parents as named drivers on my own policy and always have, dad has probaly driven my car once or twice mum never, but always paid off reducing the premium.

Guess from the sounds of things I might just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra (absolutely no way am I having a tracker in my car like one insurance company wanted). Just a pity as im sure alot of you can understand buying a house aint the cheapest frickin thing in the world to do (someone remind me please why solicitors are actually paid for doing f-all!)!

Cheers for the comment bout the house, been very fortunate. Can't wait to get my hands on the keys (next Friday!!!).

Just have to wait until next yeh then maybe go with Green Light as I want to get clutch & map and a few other things done to the car.

Although if anyone has any smart ideas or some random insurance company that is likely to better my quotes, please let me know!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im with admiral im 19 me and my girl friend (same age) are on the same policy think its 2000 i think which is quite cheap considering a few of my mates are paying that on silly 1 litre corsa's :)
:) Know the feeling hehe, lots of my friends are in that sort of thing still, funny looks I get when they find I have a 2.2 :) insurance for myself at my parents house if i was still living there, fully comp with both of them as named drivers would be £607 with admiral - shame I am moving to a slightly higher risk postcode!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my 1.8 is 660 this year at 21 with 4 years ncb and 2 very old people on it (they may know or they may not know theyre one it)

lol we are renting atm and our son will be 2 this year (hence why i went into work rather than uni:p) but i guess if i hadnt had my son I would probaly be in debt and defo could not afford to rent let alone buy a house :)

All depends on situations and how you deal with them I guess, take everything as an oppertunity.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
lol we are renting atm and our son will be 2 this year (hence why i went into work rather than uni:p) but i guess if i hadnt had my son I would probaly be in debt and defo could not afford to rent let alone buy a house :)

All depends on situations and how you deal with them I guess, take everything as an oppertunity.
I never went to uni either luckily only person in my field without a degree and only 5 people in the country doing what i do ;)

Few things you can do!

Edit mileage the lower the better

Edit address so insure it at a parents house (mine is even though i dont live there)

ensure as many older drivers are women as it reduces it most

check vehicle value dont over estimete dont under estimate

Go on confused.com get a quote then play with it on the cheapest site.

Get a 10 month accelerator and wait till it ends and drops

Just a few things to play with mate hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never went to uni either luckily only person in my field without a degree and only 5 people in the country doing what i do ;)

Few things you can do!

Edit mileage the lower the better

Edit address so insure it at a parents house (mine is even though i dont live there)

ensure as many older drivers are women as it reduces it most

check vehicle value dont over estimete dont under estimate

Go on confused.com get a quote then play with it on the cheapest site.

Get a 10 month accelerator and wait till it ends and drops

Just a few things to play with mate hope that helps!

Tried all of those :) Also where car is parked makes a massive difference - garage is often dearer than parking it on driveway. Wouldn't it invalidate my insurance if I had it put at my parents house rather than my house though?

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Tried all of those :) Also where car is parked makes a massive difference - garage is often dearer than parking it on driveway. Wouldn't it invalidate my insurance if I had it put at my parents house rather than my house though?
No as long as "it is parked there" wink wink nudge nudge

Mines on a "drive" lol

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
mines in a locked garage ;) i wish! lmao but if it ever got broke into i could break into the garage at the house it meant to be at ;) lmao

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I didn't believe this until I did a quotation, albeit the comparison from driveway to street with the same result!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts