1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had the renewal:

2016 1.8 EX was £644.
2017 1.5 Sport+ is £1,463

That can't be right, can it? Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts

2016 1.8 EX was £644.

Go elsewhere and you'll get a new business discount.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
234 Posts

2016 1.8 EX was £644.

Mine was exactly the same as my previous skoda diesel. About 6 months left to run.
Just had to pay a small transfer fee.

Here in Ireland they have changed the name to S Design. Anything with "Sport" in it seems to load up the price.

As advised already, shop around..

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Auto renewals always sting you, mine this year was 1200 same company as new customer = 700 lol. What do you think I did?.

·
Registered
68 Posts
shop around, my sport was £17 pound cheaper than my CRZ GT. And that was after £3k claim after the Z was stolen. Insurance just doesn't make sense!

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,315 Posts
I've always found that Direct Line or Tesco to be the cheapest... Tried some of the price comparison sites and found them to be a little dearer, although I suppose you may get a nice fluffy MeerKat.

I was surprised that mine went up slightly going from a 8G 2.2 ES to 9G 1.6 S but hey ho, I'll shop about in September...

Remember this with insurance though, stay loyal and you'll pay through the nose. Always shop about and when you tell your current insurer you have a better deal in a lot of cases they'll match or better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2016 1.8 EX was £644.
Online quote at the same company: £487

They've matched it (which is nice) but the difference is practically criminal! I know you don't get the best deal if you just renew every year, but I never guessed the difference would be as much.

The only explanation I can think of is that I called to arrange the change of car before it had been registered, so the details were entered by hand. Either a mistake was made, or there's a penalty for new cars ...

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i paid less than your '16 1.8 quote on my '15 CTR both first year and renewal!!
i think the '15 CTR's are grp 33.

this is the UK bands for the '17 civic: Honda Civic Hatchback (from 2017) Insurance Groups | Parkers

definitely go elsewhere.

oh... name and shame your current insurers...
There are lots of factors involved (e.g. it includes business use, and is parked on the road which both don't help) so absolute costs I'm not worried about. However, the cheapest quote on CTM (Sainsbury's) was £329. This compares with £522 for last year (premium only) or £344 I'm paying now. You're right that I was overpaying last year, certainly, but it was this year's renewal which kicked me into some action.

This year, I'm happy to pay £15 more to not be insured by a supermarket :)

Next year, we'll see ... I'd like to do a little research before jumping insurers.

It was esure - I've been very happy with them apart from this situation.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
thats more like it... well below 400.
i've had no luck with esure in the past. been very uncompetitive but i suspect thats due to them not liking fast/modified cars (even with a clean licence/3 speeding points) rather than anything else.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My FK2R is insured with Esure for £280 all mods declared . They also insure my ep3 type r for £140 .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
My automatic renewal with Churchill in about 2 weeks is £212 (£100 excess), using comparison sites the cheapest is £260 with an excess of £300. All the details are the same.
Normally I agree that you have to shop around every year so why Churchill is apparently not ripping me off I don't know!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
£1463? :panic:
That's mindboggling

With regards to Churchill not ripping you off with the auto renewal, maybe they have realised that people will actually pay reasonable premiums, and give them recurring business; That's certainly new for the insurance industry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts