2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad wants to buy a Porsche but he's 70 soon so has to retake test but he will be entitled to a bus pass so he already decided he won't be retaking his test :(

He's going to buy a Porsche but put the v5 owner in my name to preserve the Amount owners it changes hand because he is going to let me have it

So my qs is will the insurance premium be higher because its a car he don't own?

He has more NBC then me and he will be main driver of that car so his name will go on as main driver

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just Did some digging. Go compare allows me to specify whether if I own the car so there's some sort of option.

I also read that some insurers are un likely to insure you because the concensus is u are not going to take care of some thing u don't own therefore more likely to crash it it .

Or should I being the owner insure it as main driver then add my dad as a listed driver, but then isn't this illegal known as fronting

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
How can he be the main driver if he won't have a valid license?

Are you basically saying your dad is buying you a porsche but you can't afford to insure it under your name?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He does have a valid licence , Hes not 70 yet which is when his licence expires

No his main reason is to preserve the amount of owners it changes hands

In that case if I am owner I can insure it under my own name (hes paying anyway, so i am not dodging premium costs) and he can be a listed driver but as I stated isn't this fronting which is illegal

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
If he's going to drive it then I don't see why him being a listed driver would be a problem. If he has no intention of driving it and you're just adding his name to reduce the cost of insurance then I believe that may be a problem to insurers.

To be on the safe side, insure whoever will be the main driver as the main driver on the policy.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I'm with admiral. I specifically told them that my FN2 was under my dad's name when i bought my insurance and that i'm the main driver. He isn't even on my policy and they were fine with that. It actually made my insurance cheaper by taking him off the policy.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
If the car is owned in your name is there any reason why you wouldnt just be the main driver on the insurance and have your dad as a listed driver?

Technically your dad has given you the money to buy the car. That would not be fronting and is legal

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well yes because i still hav my civic as my daily drive

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
well yes because i still hav my civic as my daily drive
You can be insured as main driver on more than one vehicle.

From what I understand if the vehicle is in your name, put yourself as the main driver and your dad as named driver and that's perfectly okay.

·
Slow Driver
1,418 Posts
When you're renewing your tax disc by the post office, you'll need the name of cars owner on the insurance certificate even as just an added driver. But that's entirely whether or not the person serving you is a baw, so doing it online is more sufficient.

·
Registered
72 Posts
my brother's fiesta is in my name as i bought it and passed it down to him when he passed... told insurance company that he now owns it but is registered to another family member's name.. only a little bit extra (about £20)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts