2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just looking up my options here, i know the HKS suffers from heat soak, so i guess ill oy get it worse here in spain my AC is on all the time and im always stuck behind old gits doing 10kms- so i guess the hks is out.

The mugen and gruppe m thing are out nased on price.

So im left with CPL COI - great price, great reviews , but looks ugly under the lid!

Tegiwa airbox - looks good, good price, can match other engine bay dress items dont know about gains or sound.

Keep the stand box and fit with a K&N panel filter.

Whats the best bang for buck ?

Oh it will be going on the car then getting an etune

·
Newb
289 Posts
Was about to ask same question as this!
I was planning to save up for the HKS but didnt realise it suffers from heat soak.... :(

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Was about to ask same question as this!
I was planning to save up for the HKS but didnt realise it suffers from heat soak.... :(
Personally I dont think you should worry about the HKS and heatsoak of you live in a country with temperatures like the UK. You'll only notice it if your stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could always stick with the standard airbox, smooth it out and get a Scoopin intake for cold air supply.
Please could you elaborate on the smoothing out ? What do you mean ?

Also with the price of the tegiwa cpared to tge scoopin where is the money best spent

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Depends what your goals are. Are you looking to spend thousands and increase power of the car? Or happy with it as it is but wanting to make a few little changes?

People with the intent of staying relatively standard normally go for the hks rsk because of its nice noise and quality but then months down the line change their mind and start heavily modding their car. Suddenly the rsk isnt good enough and complain about heat soak and slate it off.

I know my setup would benefit from a nice cold air intake with a 3.5" pipe, but i havnt got round to it plus my hks is fine. Its not the best option in the world but its not like im part of a race team and it matters that much. Its an air intake, it works. And to be honest i dont worry about heatsoak the same as i wouldnt worry about hydrolock if i had a cold air intake.

oem airbox = ok
oem airbox smoothed out = better
hks rsk = good all rounder
mugen/tegiwa box = good all rounder
gruppe m = good all rounder
cpl/injen = preferable if your creating a car with bigger figures
custom 3.5" = charged applications

All in my opinion, take your pic :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0yn3da

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I live in spain
I was in Cadiz about 5 weeks ago - it was freezing cold, but I'm guessing, given that Spain is usually hot the HKS wont be the best option for you.

Please could you elaborate on the smoothing out ? What do you mean ?

Also with the price of the tegiwa cpared to tge scoopin where is the money best spent
If you look at the OEM airbox its got fins inside, to smooth it out you basically cut the fins out, making it smooth.

Personally I'd go for the Tegiwa, it works well (based on the Mugen) and looks great in the engine bay, but there's no denying the CPL maybe the intake that produces the most gains.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
My opinions in Red.
Just looking up my options here, i know the HKS suffers from heat soak, so i guess ill oy get it worse here in spain my AC is on all the time and im always stuck behind old gits doing 10kms- so i guess the hks is out.

Mugen- Expensive but larger than the OEM air box (24% more volume) could be inproved with a larger MAF housing/sensor and of course tuned to match.
Gruppe M- I quite like this design and the scoop that attaches to the underside of the bonnet looks to be a good source of cold air when moving.. not soo sure how it would perform from a standstill or in heavy traffic getting "dirty" air

So im left with CPL COI - great price, great reviews , but looks ugly under the lid!
CPL- from the looks of it the boosted guys love and favor this intake as it is pretty unrestrictive and flows well. I have my worries about hydrolock (water getting sucked up into the engine) from the positioning of the filter. But does exactly what it says on the tin.

Tegiwa airbox - looks good, good price, can match other engine bay dress items dont know about gains or sound.
Tegiwa airbox - almost a like for like copy of the Mugen but at 1/3 of the price not 100% sure how much volume this airbox has over stock but I would imagine somewhere over 20%

Standard- Honda didnt spend $$$$ developing it for it to be pants... However the standard airbox is made and designed for 240bhp in mind (standard highest K20 or what evers in the S2000).

It would be interesting for a tuner or tuners to on here to get together and flow test these options on NA and FI cars... to see which is best. but Dyno testing only gives an indication of what a filter can do...data logs are needed for real world situations.. variable speeds and partial to open throttles.

I'm personally looking at the Tegiwa airbox only and designing some sort of larger scoop to fit behind the fogs which retains the factory resonator.

(although if a Gruppe M comes up I'll snap somebody's hand off!!!)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
My opinions in Red.

It would be interesting for a tuner or tuners to on here to get together and flow test these options on NA and FI cars... to see which is best. but Dyno testing only gives an indication of what a filter can do...data logs are needed for real world situations.. variable speeds and partial to open throttles.

I'm personally looking at the Tegiwa airbox only and designing some sort of larger scoop to fit behind the fogs which retains the factory resonator.

(although if a Gruppe M comes up I'll snap somebody's hand off!!!)
CPL CAI, from what I have read NA guys love it too. Also if your scared about hydro lock I'd say its less likely to suffer from it than a mugen intake /tegiwa

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
CPL CAI, from what I have read NA guys love it too. Also if your scared about hydro lock I'd say its less likely to suffer from it than a mugen intake /tegiwa
Not really as there is a lot of pipework for water to get anywhere near the filter ... whereas the CPL filter is the lowest point of the intake and has a fully exposed filter..

I'm tending to go for the Gruppe M the more i Read about it.. but its only good when moving and in "clean" air.

Taken from another thread.
Hi there !

Today me and my close friend Marcin :wink:(mw1978) have had a test drive.
Both car has TODA Manifold, RRC ,Heatshield Gaket, Exhaust, Hondata, Lowered springs,

Additionaly mine car has equiped with GruppeM and other stuff, (ex, brakes, LSD ) but this other stuff does not have influence in power during straight driving, if may I say that:wink:

During first tesr driving, I was driving behind Marcin on 2nd gear 50km/h and we have had push the full throttle in the same time. Cars goes indenticaly till 7000rpm on 3rd gear ,than I 've had shift 4th gear and I moved car to opposite side of the road and I did pass Marcin car.

Second test we drove on 2nd gear 50km/h side by side push full throttle and my car was quicker from Marcin definiately.
Teory is confirming it self that RAM GruppeM Intake works !:-D.
Driving behind the GruppeM RAM intake does not show his full potentail, :sad:

Aerodynamic tunel doesn't really have much to do with it, it must not be any car ahead ,than RAM GruppeM Intake works properly, and use his full potential.:razz:

On thursday I'm going to make a dyno test, so we will see the reults on the paper, but at the moment I'm very relaxed, because I know it's really works on the road !!:-D:razz: and this is more important issue. Is in it?!:cool:

Cheers

P.S My friend will have soon GruppeM RAM Inatke on his own CTR:razz:
P.S 2 I drove on 98 octane pertol :sad:, Marcin drove on V-Power 100, Never again 98 octane petrol into my CTR
Maybe someone who has one fitted with a Charger could say if they are any good above 300bhp?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think that depends on what mods you are running and what your goals are Ash.

I would say it was one of the best, and likely the best overall for Forced induction.

But for some other people who perhaps want an intake to run on a stock car, or want an OEM look or consider engine bling important or want something thats easier to service, the CPL may not be for them.

Personally I would say the Tegiwa is the best value for money overall intake on an NA car at least.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The filter on the Tegiwa or mugen is in the stock position and the filter on the CPL is about 30 cm lower down at the front of the car so I think thats unlikely.

For water to make it to the mugen/tegiwa filter it would have to be sucked up quite a distance from the front scoop which I couldnt see happening.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
The filter on the Tegiwa or mugen is in the stock position and the filter on the CPL is about 30 cm lower down at the front of the car so I think thats unlikely.

For water to make it to the mugen/tegiwa filter it would have to be sucked up quite a distance from the front scoop which I couldnt see happening.
Same here, until I saw the thread about lunar_ticks intake. It was full of mud!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Hardly mud, it was dust+flies etc,

Mugen FN2 intake will scoop up the same amount of guff, mine hoovers stuff up its a by product of having a good cold air feed.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts

This but smooth it out, will unlock a few horses FOR FREE!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts