2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
The registration "C11 CYK" most likely exists.... just weird that it was bought by a Civic owner :)

But the plate seems to have been bought "with intent to deface" the original lettering - which is illegal

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
someone i know at work has just received a 1000 fine for defacing his number plate. The police did a 2 week hit on all people with dodgy number plates.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
These people who for example put a "I" and "L" close together backwards to make a "U" - how can they think it's legal!

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Reg's like this really peev me off!! If you cant afford the proper one, just dont bother!!

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I said interesting, I was courting controversy.
Yes. Its TOTALLY illegal.
I think it belongs to a worker on the building site
If I see it again, I might be tempted to put a small note on it;)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I'm confused by this...

The reg is 'C11VYK' - it is not misrepresented! It is correct, although there is very little space between the numbers and the letters (there should be 38mm between the groups). But it would be a very harsh ticket issuer who would issue a ticket for this.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm confused by this...

The reg is 'C11VYK' - it is not misrepresented! It is correct, although there is very little space between the numbers and the letters (there should be 38mm between the groups). But it would be a very harsh ticket issuer who would issue a ticket for this.
Confused??
The letter spacing is wrong and the fonts are illegal too!!
Hope this has cleared up the confusion:
Here is the law:

As of January 2003, changes to the Law mean that all reflective acrylic number plates must conform to specific styles and dimensions, with criteria regulating decoration and extra information.
The following dimensions and regulations must be observed:
Plate and Font Dimensions
Standard Oblong plate524mm x 112mm
Standard Square rear plate285mm x 203mm
Large Front plate524mm x 112mm
Large Rear plate533mm x 152mm
Fonts must be displayed use the Charles Wright font and are available in standard or 3D.
Charles Wright font (per letter)50mm x 78mm
Small letter spacing distance11mm
Large letter spacing distance 34mm

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer, and the name and postcode of the supplying outlet (the company who sells the number plates) must be displayed on the backing plate in the stipulated location.
Illegal plates will not be tolerated by the Police. You are not able to alter or misrepresent the letters of numbers, misplace them or change the font.

The following action could be taken against you in you do not adhere to the rules:
  • A fine of up to £1000
  • The registration number will be withdrawn from use
  • The vehicle will fail its MOT.
Borders are optional and can be up to 6mm wide.
Regional and country flags (including the Euro-symbol) are optional on plates and must be on the extreme left of the display.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
Totally agree that its "illegal", however everyone is always going on about how PC this country has become.
Give the guy a break , the plate can be easily read (by us, police and gatsos) and hes not misrepresenting any letters or numbers.
Unlike some people who will put unnecessary screws to make a C look like an O or tilt a 2 to somehow make it look like a R ?

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally agree that its "illegal", however everyone is always going on about how PC this country has become.
Give the guy a break , the plate can be easily read (by us, police and gatsos) and hes not misrepresenting any letters or numbers.
Unlike some people who will put unnecessary screws to make a C look like an O or tilt a 2 to somehow make it look like a R ?

Edit (Pottsy) slightly personal comment removed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The reason they are clamping down on this is the increasing use of ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras.

They are geared up to read a number plate every second, and the incorrect spacing would cause problems. With ANPR cameras popping up on petrol forecourts to catch drive-off's, variable speed limit cameras and even the good old congestion zone cameras in the city, you know they are gonna clamp down!

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Confused??
The letter spacing is wrong and the fonts are illegal too!!
Hope this has cleared up the confusion:
Here is the law:

As of January 2003, changes to the Law mean that all reflective acrylic number plates must conform to specific styles and dimensions, with criteria regulating decoration and extra information.
The following dimensions and regulations must be observed:
Plate and Font Dimensions
Standard Oblong plate524mm x 112mm
Standard Square rear plate285mm x 203mm
Large Front plate524mm x 112mm
Large Rear plate533mm x 152mm
Fonts must be displayed use the Charles Wright font and are available in standard or 3D.
Charles Wright font (per letter)50mm x 78mm
Small letter spacing distance11mm
Large letter spacing distance 34mm

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer, and the name and postcode of the supplying outlet (the company who sells the number plates) must be displayed on the backing plate in the stipulated location.
Illegal plates will not be tolerated by the Police. You are not able to alter or misrepresent the letters of numbers, misplace them or change the font.

The following action could be taken against you in you do not adhere to the rules:
  • A fine of up to £1000
  • The registration number will be withdrawn from use
  • The vehicle will fail its MOT.
Borders are optional and can be up to 6mm wide.
Regional and country flags (including the Euro-symbol) are optional on plates and must be on the extreme left of the display.
I thought that only counted on plates 51 or newer - the guy could claim the plate was made before the cut off as C reg came out in 1986 and he transferred the plate to his spaceship (don't fancy his chances though)!!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
It is illegal though that is a fact. If you need to misrepresent a registration to get it to say what you want it to say then don't buy it.

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Why do people de badge a car and buy a number plate for hundreds that nearly says the car name?????

It must be more cost effective just to leave the badge on!!!

·
Harris Tweed
159 Posts

There is an explicit specification for number plates so that everyone is clear about what is required. There cannot be flexibility because that would allow all sorts of legal loopholes.

And... suppose everyone was cool about tailored plates; you have an accident, the other person drives off, you attempt to jot down the plate details, but the plate is *so* tailored you couldn't actually read it. What then?

It is the same with speed limits (which can be a pain in the arse I know) the designated limit *is* the limit.

Gotta have rules guys...

Anthony.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
There is an explicit specification for number plates so that everyone is clear about what is required. There cannot be flexibility because that would allow all sorts of legal loopholes.

And... suppose everyone was cool about tailored plates; you have an accident, the other person drives off, you attempt to jot down the plate details, but the plate is *so* tailored you couldn't actually read it. What then?

It is the same with speed limits (which can be a pain in the arse I know) the designated limit *is* the limit.

Gotta have rules guys...

Anthony.
Exactly!! :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.