2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently stared getting intermittent ABS & VSA warnings lights, on my 08 Plate 8th Gen 2,2 ictdi Type S, both lamps come on together.

Therefore, I take it to be a harness, fault, as after I Turn Off the ignition and restart again, it will clear, both ABS and VSA work fine, while the lights are ON.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can you point me in the right direction, as to where to start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get a code reader it'll tell ya which wheel.

However, once it was just a cracked cable, not the sensor.
Also went for a cheap eBay sensor on my old civic and ran with for years without any problems...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good independent garage will charge about £120 fitted and tested, forget main Honda dealers it will be treble that!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
as above mine started intermitantly before coming on perminantly
but it could also be just a dirty sensor

This has happened to me last week. Currently both my VSA and ABS are being flagged up permanently. Lastly, when braking hard, the brake pedal vibrates and makes noise.

scaramanga- can you tell me how you fixed your issue.

At the moment, i'm thinking of taking it to the mechanics (i don't feel comfortable replacing ABS sensor). :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
This has happened to me last week. Currently both my VSA and ABS are being flagged up permanently. Lastly, when braking hard, the brake pedal vibrates and makes noise.

At the moment, i'm thinking of taking it to the mechanics (i don't feel comfortable replacing ABS sensor). :confused:
i just used code reader to identify whice sensor had gone
bought a sensor off ebay for £13 with waranty and replaced it all simple as long as your not affraid of using spanners

where abouts are you might be someone local with a suitable code reader

·
Premium Member
511 Posts

Honestly the ABS sensor is simple to replace, if you know how to take caliper and disc off then abs sensor is one bolt and a few plastic clips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honestly the ABS sensor is simple to replace,
If you know which one(s) has failed.
This was my issue when I needed to replace one. £130 at the garage is much better than the cost and time needed to do it at home.

I know you can get aftermarket sensors for chips on eBay and getting to the sensors is easy. But like M8TJT said you need to know which one you're changing and for that you need a code reader which reads/clears ABS codes. I guess if you are likely to get a lot of use out of a reader and you've got the time to do the job then I can see the benefits. But surly most people are better off going to a reliable garage.

·
Super Moderator
3,469 Posts
Thanks to YB for padding out my post a bit. That was exactly my point.

Know someone with a code reader, source sensor 'for chips', have a spare morning (or so), get hands dirty and cold (topical), swear a lot. v Take it to expert, wait in the warm reading the Daily Mail/get a loaner, hand over the fish to go with the chips, job done.>:)

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Is everyone absolutely sure that there isn't a way to read Civic VSA/ABS codes without a 'special' code reader?

It's just that my Accord has built-in ABS/VSA diagnostics which can be operated by linking pins 4&9 of my OBD2 port and then causes the error light to flash in a pattern which can be interpreted to identify the actual fault. It's also possible to clear faults and even balance ('neutralise') the ABS/VSA system. I have actually done these things.

I don't understand why a similar vintage Honda vehicle would be different. Post #3 of this thread has instructions on doing this, plus other useful links. I have no idea if this works on a Civic, but maybe worth trying? OBD2 , SCS, ABS/VSA - Honda Accord Chat - TypeAccord

·
Registered
4 Posts
This has just started happening to my CTR...I was panicking thinking it was gonna cost me a packet to fix at a garage...but after reading this thread I'm quietly confident I can do this myself IF it's just a wheel sensor...hell I might even just buy 4 of the cheap ones off Ebay and replace all 4 just incase the others are on there way out...still work out cheaper than getting one done at a garage :wink3:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
This has just started happening to my CTR...I was panicking thinking it was gonna cost me a packet to fix at a garage...but after reading this thread I'm quietly confident I can do this myself IF it's just a wheel sensor...hell I might even just buy 4 of the cheap ones off Ebay and replace all 4 just incase the others are on there way out...still work out cheaper than getting one done at a garage :wink3:
and if you started 1 at a time you might be lucky and get first time

im waiting to hear about a new diagnostic tool and if i get it and its what its supposed to be i might just offer for sale my foxwell nt630 that reads abs codes

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Is everyone absolutely sure that there isn't a way to read Civic VSA/ABS codes without a 'special' code reader?

It's just that my Accord has built-in ABS/VSA diagnostics which can be operated by linking pins 4&9 of my OBD2 port and then causes the error light to flash in a pattern which can be interpreted to identify the actual fault. It's also possible to clear faults and even balance ('neutralise') the ABS/VSA system. I have actually done these things.

I don't understand why a similar vintage Honda vehicle would be different. Post #3 of this thread has instructions on doing this, plus other useful links. I have no idea if this works on a Civic, but maybe worth trying? OBD2 , SCS, ABS/VSA - Honda Accord Chat - TypeAccord
im sure someone has done this but might be mistaken with your threads

i know my mate a few years back used a link wire when they had hondas in the garage there diagnostic didnt cover hondas but think he used the link wire on the tester end rather than the car side

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Im in East Ren and have a Foxwell Scan tool. More than welcome to pop by sometime to read your code ?
This has just started happening to my CTR...I was panicking thinking it was gonna cost me a packet to fix at a garage...but after reading this thread I'm quietly confident I can do this myself IF it's just a wheel sensor...hell I might even just buy 4 of the cheap ones off Ebay and replace all 4 just incase the others are on there way out...still work out cheaper than getting one done at a garage /forum/images/Civinfo_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Hmm, not sure about that! The sensors can be a PITA to get out when they get stuck into place and need careful drilling out. And not all faults are due to wheel sensors failing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
and if you started 1 at a time you might be lucky and get first time

im waiting to hear about a new diagnostic tool and if i get it and its what its supposed to be i might just offer for sale my foxwell nt630 that reads abs codes
Yeah that would be ideal getting it on first try...would certainly be nice having one of those code readers...just takes out all the guesswork :wink3:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts