2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As of the 1st Sept i will be the owner of a milano red type r gt (crnt wait is an understatement!)

because it will be on 0 miles, am i write in thinking the best way to break the car in is below?

- Avoided driving at a constant speed for the first 250 miles (i.e. no motorways and on A/B roads constantly varying throttle position

- Hard acceleration up to VTEC but not above 5,000rpm for the first 500 miles

- Slam the throttle shut completely after rapid acceleration

- No hard driving before the engine was warm (but avoid idling whilst stationary)

- Engine braking

- After 500 miles it's VTEC time

After 1,500 miles there was no loss of oil, or any discolouration.

At 2,000 miles the gearbox seems to be starting to bed in a little.

Also my mate has a focus ST, can the type r compete against it (on safe roads e.g country sides!)

i know these questions have probably been asked before and apolygise in advance!

thanks

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Sounds good!! The Focus ST is obviously more powerful but with it being heavier the power to weight ratio should be fairly similar, although with the ST being that bit faster overall... But the difference should be minimal..

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Running in ? - just "drive it like you stole it" !!! ...

Max the rev counter a few times inside the first 100km or so ... you won't regret it ... Honda engines just need to be "luvved" (thrashed !) ...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I asked the dealer the same thing and he said "if you want to take it on a track day tomorrow you can" basically no gentle running in required.

I "drove it like it stole it" from day1, and 10,000 miles in I've just topped up with oil for the first time.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I asked the dealer the same thing and he said "if you want to take it on a track day tomorrow you can" basically no gentle running in required.

I "drove it like it stole it" from day1, and 10,000 miles in I've just topped up with oil for the first time.
Yeeppp - I only have a "humble" 1.8 (CTR not vailable in Norway) ...

When I collected the car, with 11 km on the clock, I asked the dealer about "running in" ...

The guy just 'smirked' and said ...

" How heavy is your right foot ? - it's a Honda - pedal to the metal whenever possible ! " ...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Bet it doesn't have 0 miles on it - more like 5 :)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I vtec'ed pulling out of the honda dealership when I just got the car brand new!

As for ST's the difference will be the driver, I have beaten one and lost to another.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I was able to stay ahead of a hard charging ST in a Clio 197 and an Astra VXR could only keep ahead in the bends if he used both sides of the road. If your a good driver there will be nothing in it.
Well that's because you are driving that 2.2 i-CTDI that goes like the clappers :D

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I didn't thrash mine in the first 750 miles, at 3000 now running smooth as anything, still feels tight, but as many have said these cars are just meant to excel as they get older

Not had a run in with an ST yet, my only concern is the torque they have kicking out, if one creeps up behind and is off at 50mph i'm gonna be dropping down 3 gears probably lol

·
Registered
790 Posts
how many miles before i can thrash it as some say,500 or 750 or 1000...which is it folks...im only upto 250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was told by the dealer not to over rev it or brake heavy in the first 600 miles but it was ok to go down the motor way at 90mph straight away....it's just how you get there.
I had 9 miles on the clock when I picked it up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just gave mine 500 miles of normal driving, bit of vtec, motorway, town driving etc

Just remember your not just runnig in the engine but new pads, discs, suspension etc

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
rev it mate...from day one!mines standard and showing 212.8bhp on rollers so def does them good!as for the ST brigade...no problems in the twisty bits...should be able to create a large enough gap so he cant catch you on the straights.:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts