2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

First time writer... Quick Question just bought an EX picking up on Wed and part of the deal was a half price ipod connector £100 squids. But reading this forum apparently it is crap.

So my question is. In my previous car i bought a connects2 for a sony head unit. Round plug that goes into the cd changer port. I know the answer is more likely no, But will it work with the above car. If not i might ask the dealer to forget the honda one and buy and fit the connects2 kit.

Any ideas...

With thanks

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
fairly safe bet that you're right (no it won't) :(

especially as the connector on the civic is rectangular, not round - sorry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd take the offer. Honda quoted the price of the wiring loom alone to me as £120+. Halfords don't do the equivalent installation as 'its a nightmare on the new Civic chief, so we just don't do 'em'. A local ICE shop asked 'Whats an Ipod' (give me strength) and another asked for the model of the stereo so he could get the right part (i.e he's never done one on a Civic either !). If it was me I'd take the offer, don't worry about that. :)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
The ipod adapter from Honda is very limited.
You now know that and kind make up your mind if it is worth £100.
Fitted in the car for that price is not bad, as long as you are aware of the limitations.

You will need a new Connects2 of the correct type to fit the Honda and also an extra loom for the EX:

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_aux_in_using_connects2

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Try and see if you can have a go with your ipod in one of the dealers cars, that's what I did. You will see how bad it is. I decided not to get it. Instead I burn cd's to a cdr in wma format, as you can fit anything up to 16 albums on one cdr. Apart from the few extra seconds the HU takes to read the cd when it is first inserted, I am really happy I decided to give the ipod connector as miss. I was offered one for £120 fitted. It's up to you obviously, but I would save your money.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Don't dissapoint yourself with Honda Ipod cable!

If you fitted the the connects2 cable in your last car you should be fine fitting a new one in your Civic. If you follow the guides in the Wiki for taking the dash apart, it won't take you long and you will take more care of your pride and joy than the dealer.

Ask the dealer if he will let you have the Y cable half price instead (See here http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Aux_in_loom_for_satnav_cars - you will need it for the EX). Then for your £100 you will get the y cable and the connects2 box - a far better setup!

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Aux_in_loom_for_satnav_cars

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Don't dissapoint yourself with Honda Ipod cable!

If you fitted the the connects2 cable in your last car you should be fine fitting a new one in your Civic. If you follow the guides in the Wiki for taking the dash apart, it won't take you long and you will take more care of your pride and joy than the dealer.

Ask the dealer if he will let you have the Y cable half price instead (See here http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Aux_in_loom_for_satnav_cars - you will need it for the EX). Then for your £100 you will get the y cable and the connects2 box - a far better setup!

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Aux_in_loom_for_satnav_cars
Good advice

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys...

had a chat with the dealer and he dropped it to 50 quid. for that price i think i will just do it. and if i want more control i will burn the album to cd's

might be easier as i use napster for my music anyway and it is a git to convert them to mp3

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
But ipod cable into EX must mean the Y cable is being installed for the ipod cable, right?

So if you change your mind, and want the connects2 at a later date, at least you will have a good price on the Y cable.
(Good in Honda terms that is, not compared to actual manufacturing cost).

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
But ipod cable into EX must mean the Y cable is being installed for the ipod cable, right?

So if you change your mind, and want the connects2 at a later date, at least you will have a good price on the Y cable.
(Good in Honda terms that is, not compared to actual manufacturing cost).
True, and at 50 quid the Ipod cable (inc y cable) is a bargain

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ipod

Picked up my Civic last Friday and had the ipod connector fitted by the dealer.

After reading other peoples comments about this connector I was wondering if I had made the right choice.

Now I've had it a couple of days, I think it's worth it.

Yes, you can't see the name of the track you are playing but sometimes that can be an advantage................ in a traffic jam on a motorway you sometimes don't want the white transit van behind you knowing your listening to Steps or Take That (I've used these to groups as an example.......... Honest!!).

All the best

Beef

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got it..

Cannot wait to try it all. I am at work and it is killing me to wait till 4pm (started at 8am)

I can see it out my window and it is calling to me..... Little bugger

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Yes, you can't see the name of the track you are playing but sometimes that can be an advantage................ in a traffic jam on a motorway you sometimes don't want the white transit van behind you knowing your listening to Steps or Take That (I've used these to groups as an example.......... Honest!!).Beef
Or Barry Manilow :oops:

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Yes, you can't see the name of the track you are playing but sometimes that can be an advantage................ in a traffic jam on a motorway you sometimes don't want the white transit van behind you knowing your listening to Steps or Take That (I've used these to groups as an example.......... Honest!!).
You could give your tracks "code names" if it is a problem...

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
He's probably too busy farting and shouting at you to move in the stationary traffic to be bothered with what your listening to! And there is nowt wrong with Take That! I used to Love Steps, but their albums are hidden away now, unlike all the Take that ones he he :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Speaking of the Honda ipod connector - I have the impression that I may be getting a voucher or something to have this fitted for Christmas. Where do you actually plug in the ipod? Glove box?

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Speaking of the Honda ipod connector - I have the impression that I may be getting a voucher or something to have this fitted for Christmas. Where do you actually plug in the ipod? Glove box?
Nah, its in the little cubby hole thats above the gear stick. You know the one that you just don't have anything to put in it? Well thats where it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts