2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I know it's been asked a 1000 times but I still haven't found a thread that answers my questions.

I know the Civic doesn't have an Aux IN on the front of the headunit however does it have one on the rear, reason I'm asking is I have found a potential solution. I don't care if I have to get it fitted professionally.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/

This is by Harmon Karden, you get full control of your IPOD but you require an Aux In somewhere.

Also does anyone know if the Desnsion LInk Plus works, I think this needs a Aux In somewhere.

I know it sound sbad but if I can't get my ipod working properly have to look elsewhere as it's not like you can change the headunit on the civic without it looking awful.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I looked into this one some time ago mate, and eventually downloaded an installation document from the product.

If I remember correctly, the HK Drive & Play connects through an Aerial-In port, which the back of the Civic stereo doesn't have.

Believe me, if this was an option, I'd have installed it ages ago.....as it stands, the Dension Ice>Link is the only real integration, and I'm STILL looking for a cheap distributor of that!!!!:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dension is not bad, if nothing has changed then dension sell you a 'sony' ice link and a sony adapter. this makes the icelink slow to respond and on my Honda/Alpine sat nav the menu of the dension can't be accessed so functionality is limited. Mine is a 2003 Civic with factory fit satnav If anyone tries this on a new civic, please let me know how you get on as this is on my checklist for new cars. I'm seriously thinking about a volvo C30, i'm only 27 - is that wrong?!?

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Dension is not bad, if nothing has changed then dension sell you a 'sony' ice link and a sony adapter. this makes the icelink slow to respond and on my Honda/Alpine sat nav the menu of the dension can't be accessed so functionality is limited. Mine is a 2003 Civic with factory fit satnav If anyone tries this on a new civic, please let me know how you get on as this is on my checklist for new cars. I'm seriously thinking about a volvo C30, i'm only 27 - is that wrong?!?
Not at all, I'm 21 and I fancy a C30!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Me too!!! I'm 29....I saw a C30 at last years MPH show at Earls Court which was Metallic Beige, with a Metallic Brown body kit!!........Believe me, it was stunning, and no way near as awful as it sounds!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,172 Posts
ive got a c5, still going strong. will have to post some pics with it net to my civic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Civic coax Ariel

Hi the civic does indeed have a coax aerial lead, it is the two pronged plug (brown) to one side at the rear of the radio. What is odd is the connector, I cut the two wires and found that one is a standard wire and the one with the white stripe is actually a very small but ordinary Coax, Soldered the dension arial in to one side and the out to the other side plugged all together and one working IPOD, albeit not controlled by the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Drive & Play has the option to input through a CD changer input.

I looked into this one some time ago mate, and eventually downloaded an installation document from the product.

If I remember correctly, the HK Drive & Play connects through an Aerial-In port, which the back of the Civic stereo doesn't have.

Believe me, if this was an option, I'd have installed it ages ago.....as it stands, the Dension Ice>Link is the only real integration, and I'm STILL looking for a cheap distributor of that!!!!:mad: :mad:

My reading of the Drive & Play (which I have recently bought) is that you can purchase a 3rd party adapter which will aloow it to output through the CD input (if there is one) on the back of the head unit.

If you want a Drive & Play btw there is a the source I bought from (silly cheap AT £46.98 delivered). http://tinyurl.com/2p5gu2

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll try to find out and let you know

Interesting.....where can we find these 'Adapters', and of course, how much??:confused: :confused:

I'm trying to source one for my car (not a Civic I'm afraid), as soon as I have found a source I'll let you know and we can see if they can be obtained for the Civic.

Doug

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Cheers Doug, please don't forget about us though - I think the HK Drive & Play's little blue screen would look perfect against the Civic's spaceship readouts and dials!!!!!:D :cool:

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
A 3,5mm audio output jack connects Drive + Play to any vehicle that has an auxiliary input.
With the Connects2 cable then surely this would be possible; it would cost about £110 for both parts for non EX cars and another £80! for EX cars, but I can't see why it wouldn't work

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Original car radio compatibility:
BMW, HONDA, MERCEDES, TOYOTA, ALFA ROMEO, PORSCHE, AUDI, DAIHATSU, FORD, JAGUAR, MAZDA, MINI, NISSAN, OPEL, PEUGEOT, RENAULT, SUBARU, SUZUKI, VW, VOLVO, KIA, LAMBORGHINI, FERRARI, SAAB, LOTUS, MITSUBISHI, MASERATI, BENTLEY, LEXUS, ACURA, ROLLS-ROYCE

Aftermarket car radio compatibility:
SONY, CLARION, PIONEER, JVC, ALPINE, KENWOOD, NAKAMICHI

Ipod Compatibility:
iPod, G3, G4, G5, Nano, Mini, Video, Photo
(not compatible with iPod shuffle)

- Charges your iPod when the ignition is turned "ON"
- Display iD3 tags on the RDS Radio display
- Controlling the iPod from the clickwheel is not compromised
- Left/Right audio level adjustment
- Display (scrolls) song titles up to 24 characters long
Note: Most european vehicles require FAKRA antenna adaptor. It is strongly NOT advised to modify any antenna cables as it may affect the sound quality.
Warranty: All products sold comes with 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Well it looks the part and claims to be compatable but, sceptical on the displaying info part.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Just sent them an email asking if they are 100% certain it'll work with our OEM HU's......

Also, I notice that they are based in Hong Kong, and accept Paypal. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is just an FM modulator that uses the RDS channel to display the track info (where your radio would normally display something like "Radio 1" it will show the track info)

however - it doesn't mention control of the iPod - there is a cable marked control - but no mention of how to link this into the controls of the radio - allowing streering wheel control - I'm guessing that this wouldn't be possible because in Radio mode- any up/down button presses are going to change the radio station.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Ok; I think this has completely gone off from what I was suggesting.

What people above are suggesting is to plug it in via the aerial socket, which isn't an ideal solution because the quality will only be FM however it also says...

"A 3,5mm audio output jack connects Drive + Play to any vehicle that has an auxiliary input."

Pottsy's car has an auxiliary input! And on a non EX model this is £60 to do. So you can purchase the unit for £50 and the Connects2 box for £60 and then get....
HK unit OUTPUT ---> Connects2 INPUT -----> Honda HU
This will cost £110

Nothing will be displayed on the Honda HU (well it'll say CD Changer) and the steering wheel controls will do nothing at all (well volume, but no control)

However the control and display as in the image above, will give you full track listings and full control of your ipod!

1 - 20 of 216 Posts