2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After deciding that the Harman/Kardon solution is a bit TOO permenant for my liking, and Honda's official 'solution' is.....well.......... crap AND expensive, I've been on the look out for something else to hook up my iPod, and have noticed that Kensington now do a RDS FM Transmittor/Charger idea for iPod.....

I seem to remember that someone on here waxed lyrical about his Kensington FM Transmittor, but I also think that was the old model.....

Basically, the new RDS version does everything that other FM Transmittors do, but it also sends the track info to your HU's screen and displays the Track Name / Artist etc......

Furthermore, It doesn't seem that expensive either (around £40).......

Anyone seen it / Played with one / own one?????:confused: :confused:

Here's a link to the Kensington website if you haven't seen it.....they are available on eBay too.......

http://us.kensington.com/html/11206.html

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I'm sure there was another RDS one doing the rounds.

It would seem that the radio transmitters are NEVER going to be as good as a hard wired solution; so it's always between cost/ripping your dash apart and quality.

Personally I think I'm going to go for the jack input, it means no steering wheel control or display, but 99% of the time I only want volume anyway and it's future proof in case I don't get a ipod, not to mention that the cost is the best.

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
I agree with gav, quality will always be lacking with the transmitters, work for some people but I couldn't live with the itrip I used in my old car, really was rubbish.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you there - I've tried 2 different variants of the iTrip theme, and both were rubbish.

However, I've heard that the Kensington stuff is alot better than those.....

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
my itrip is very good, and for the money £12 i cannot moan, and alot cheaper than hondas option. there will be a solution very soon as these have been out nearly 2 years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Belkin transmitter sound is good , clearly not going to be as good as a awired system but at £39 cheaper than the honda crap and havent had to bugger up the dash plus it charges as you go ...until a cheaper wired system is available that doesnt bugger the dash it will do !

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
I think the kensington won a group test on the gadget show, but they're just not for me. I disliked the sound quality and while they worked for some people I will be waiting for a hard wired solution.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i went the connects2 route and its fantastic, 40 pounds, great sound, and in mu opinion volume control is enough if you can easily reacy the audio player

·
Rusty Nut!
614 Posts
I've got an FM transmitter / car charger all in one job for my ipod and it works perfectly in my focus, I hope it will still be as good in the civic when I get it

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
I've got an FM transmitter / car charger all in one job for my ipod and it works perfectly in my focus, I hope it will still be as good in the civic when I get it
Depends where you put it! The aerial is hidden in the rear spoiler on the civic, unlike the focus which is front mounted.

·
Rusty Nut!
614 Posts
Depends where you put it! The aerial is hidden in the rear spoiler on the civic, unlike the focus which is front mounted.
hmm...perhaps I'll keep the focus then :p

Since its an all in one it will have to plug into the cigarette lighter, to be honest I rarely use the ipod full stop, I much prefer my old creative zen jukebox but the other half bought me the ipod for my birthday and I feel obliged to take it with me from time to time so if it doesnt work it's no great loss .

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just recieved through the post, a 2nd hand Kensington FM Transmittor (eBay & not the RDS one unfortunately!!:( ) and I've got to say, it's superb!!

As a previous owner of a Griffin RoadTrip and Griffin iTrip Auto, I'm suitably qualified to say that this is FAR FAR superior to those two efforts.......

After using it all day today, the reception is Crystal clear (I know this varies greatly depending on where you live), and the unit is simplicity itself to set up and start using.

All in all, I'm very chuffed indeed wih it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts