2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone had any success using the standard Honda iPod integration cable with an iPod running the ROCKbox firmware?

Just wondered if the CD/Track selection via the steering wheel buttons worked, which I guess is the bare minimum to be able to operate an iPod unit.

Reason for ROCKbox firmware? - I don't want to lose the ability to play FLAC's ;-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FLAC=Free Lossless Audio Codec
In a nutshell, a clever little software algorythm that allows you to compress music tracks significantly without losing quality. True archive quality in that you can rebuild the original even though it is compressed.

Kind of like Apple Lossless, except it's not a-la-Apple and it's opensource.

All my digital music collection is in FLAC format (As opposed to MP3 or other (IMO) lossy formats)

ROCKbox is a version of opensource firmware that you can run (in parallel if necessary) on your iPod that allows you to play .FLAC format music through the iPod hardware. Basic, but it's not the bell's-n-whistles of the ipod firmware I'm after ;-)

Let me know if this doesn't answer your Q's :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
bikefright can you confirm that you can play WMAs on your iPod now? DRM'd ones ideally? The rockbox site says you can but I've never heard of it before so I wouldnt mind you confirming if it's not too much trouble...
If I could get all my napster songs onto an iPod i'd be a happy bunny (I know WMA is a crap codec but i doubt I'd notice that much difference between FLAC and WMA on my standard car stereo @ 40mph and I like napsters subscription model)

Cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry minisweeper, the iPod is my intended gift from SWMBO for xmas, so I don't posess one currently - part of the reason for asking. I'm a hard and fast Cowon iAudio X5L user (with native FLAC support). I have used the ROCKbox firmware on the iAudio in the past, but never had cause to play DRM'd WMA's. Don't you just love DRM :-(

The iPod integration was a "freebie" for the "inconvenience of the 3rd gear syncro issue", otherwise, I'd have gone the bespoke route and allowed myself 3.5mm mini jack input for my iAudio ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts