2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all ,
I am thinking about installing in my new Civic forvard looking infrared passive night vision system . There is one on the market I know - PathFindIR made by FLIR company.
It looks to be an excellent accessory for safe travelling in night and bed visual conditions. For passive IR system darkness , fog , rain and snow are "transparent" ... It has much longer range than lights , showing us padestrians , cyclists , animals and obstructions on the road far ahead of our car.
Our UFO Civic's looks to be good pattern for instalation of such accesory ( for now reserved for hi-end BMW's , Merc and Honda Legend ...).
System contain : small IR thermal camera , cables , LCD display with AUX port. In cars with built-in satnav you don't need need additional LCD display - it may be connected to existing one ( satnav ).
Mounting looks quite simple for experinced car electrician.
FLIR system is not cheap - ca. 2500 USD for camera or ca. 3500 USD for complete kit ( camera + cables + 7 inch LCD display ).
Maybe somebody here knows any other , cheaper ( Chinese ? )manufacturer of similar system ?
What do you think about it ?
Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I saw an episode of top gear where this type of system was being demonstrated on a Mercedes. Looked very impressive!

However the merc's screen appeared in the dash directly in front of the driver, the civic's sat nav screen located in the middle of the dash is not as convenient however I think it would still be a useful (although expensive) safety addition!

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is great thing and helper, but its in early stage when we talk about cars... Lets wait few more years to get it cheaper :)

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't let any numpty in america use this system they will be too busy watching the screen instead of the road and get sideswiped at a junction or clean a cyclist out because they haven't checked their blind spot before turning.

Then hey ho. . . out come the solicitors and the court cases . . . yarda yarda. . . Everyone will be suing! :popcorn2:

Altho the principle is a good idea, mororists are not fighter pilots and most cant react or multitask in a vehicle with that sort of equipment because they are not trained to. Wouldn't work especially not in the UK where its illegal to use your phone at the wheel or press buttons on your satnav and if they could ban you for changing the volume on you stereo while driving they would! :worms:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in region where most of roads are narrow and winding , a lot of forrests with wild animals crossing road ( deers , boars , elks ...) , a lot of cyclists without any light.
Such accesory would be much useful for safe driving , warning us a far earlier that somebody/something is on or just near the road allowing to decrease speed and keep attention much earlier than normal.
It looks like a fighter plane or Apache helicopter instrument :) , but this is made for comfort and safety. Having display just under windscreen we will be not districted ...

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I live in region where most of roads are narrow and winding , a lot of forrests with wild animals crossing road ( deers , boars , elks ...) , a lot of cyclists without any light.
Such accesory would be much useful for safe driving , warning us a far earlier that somebody/something is on or just near the road allowing to decrease speed and keep attention much earlier than normal.
It looks like a fighter plane or Apache helicopter instrument :) , but this is made for comfort and safety. Having display just under windscreen we will be not districted ...

Perhaps, you have a point but even with that piece of eqipment i wouldn't be driving any faster in those sort of conditions. It cant tell you whats round a narrow, blind bend in thick forest.

I still think strong headlamps are sufficient, i'd like to think you drive with full beam on on those roads.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I saw an episode of top gear where this type of system was being demonstrated on a Mercedes. Looked very impressive!

However the merc's screen appeared in the dash directly in front of the driver, the civic's sat nav screen located in the middle of the dash is not as convenient however I think it would still be a useful (although expensive) safety addition!
You could fit it to a HUD

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
It doesn't work in fog :( which, if i was to shell out on something that expensive, is probably the time I would want it to work the most.

i.e. when I cant see anything.

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/ENG_01_FOG.pdf page 4 right hand side.

I think if anything this would be an excellent security feature for my house looking out on my back garden, garage and allyway. Always hearing noises at night and cant see whats going on. Probably cats but i'd know for sure with that system in my spare room upstairs!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is passive infrared system (thermal camera ) - so it "see through " the fog , heavy snow or rain ...this is a big advantage of this system.
Narrow means only 2 lanes ( 1 in each direction ) without separation . Of course we are driving at full beam of light , but when another car is going opposite direction you must to change lights to short , a few seconds before pass you are almost blind what is ahead of you ...

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I dont know enough about it, give it a go if you have the money and get some of your screen shots up. I've not worked on the aircraft version before either so I dont know anythin about that yet.

If you think the cost outweighs the peace of mind you will get driving at night with one fitted then go for it! :cyclops:

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you do go for it - please post some pics and a review. the price puts it well beyond what I would think to do, but still would be very curious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts