2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I put my 17" Type S GT alloys up for sale I thought I'd give them a good clean. Never used Iron X before but heard the good reviews and watched a few vids. Thought I'd post a few pics and how I found the stuff to use.

So first I gave the alloy a clean with some APC, both on the front and inside the dirty DIRTY rim! Then once I'd done this and the excess water was off the surface I gave the alloy a good squirt with the Iron X. Then I watched the magic unfold.

On the instructions it states to leave the Iron X on the surface for 2-3 mins, which I did for the first 2 alloys but this still managed to leave a few black specs. With the next 2 I chose to leave the Iron X on for about 4-5 minutes and found that it got rid of a lot more than with the previous 2 alloys. Is this what everyone has found?

Another thing to note, like everyones told me: It bloody stinks! :police:

Overall I found using the Iron X brought up the alloys a lot and despite the obvious weathering they look great. Unfortunately got carried away and forgot to take pics of the actual after shots. Well here are some before & during pictures with one or two I'll be adding to the For Sale section when I put them up.

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Top work I hope new improved version smells better. I read something about a new product they develop de ironiser and tar remover in one

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah was made up that it removed so many of the baked on crap that had gathered there over the years. Will be using it again in the future.

Was wondering if people had left it on for longer than 5 mins in the past and the impact it would have (if any) on the alloy?

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Yeah was made up that it removed so many of the baked on crap that had gathered there over the years. Will be using it again in the future.

Was wondering if people had left it on for longer than 5 mins in the past and the impact it would have (if any) on the alloy?
I've left it on for longer around 10 mins or so then I have agitated also and I had no problems, It's acid free and ph balanced so shouldn't do your wheels any harm

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've left it on for longer around 10 mins or so then I have agitated also and I had no problems
Cheers, something to consider for the future. Leaving it on longer than the 2-3 mins stated did seem to get rid of more.

·
The D is for Dave
286 Posts
I foolishly forgot to take pictures of my car when I IronX'd it for the first time a few weeks ago, the amount of contamination was horrific. Doing my girlfriend's Fabia in a couple of weeks so will definitely remember pics. It's super impressive stuff and the car does look much better for it, just a pity about the stone chip acne that covers the front half of the car.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
I foolishly forgot to take pictures of my car when I IronX'd it for the first time a few weeks ago, the amount of contamination was horrific. Doing my girlfriend's Fabia in a couple of weeks so will definitely remember pics. It's super impressive stuff and the car does look much better for it, just a pity about the stone chip acne that covers the front half of the car.
Detar, clay, and ironx then you know your car has a perfect, contaminant free Paint surface ready for your polish and lsp:D

·
Helpee
126 Posts
So does that mean you can se iron X on the paintwork ?
Yes, fine to use on paintwork.

I bought some because I had some brake dust in the 'corners' of the wheels when I bought the car that nothing would shift. Iron X removed it, although it did take quite a bit of 'agitation'

What amazed me was watching it melt away the totally stuck on brake dust but not touching the small tar spots. Shows that it really does target iron contaminants but is not harsh at all.

TBH it's worth buying just to spray on a colourless liquid then watch your wheels start to 'bleed' :eek:

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why on earth did you let them get like this??
Always seal wheels and wash them at least once a week...Always!!
However..Good luck getting them sorted
They weren't on my car like that. Changed the alloys and only just got round to giving them a good scrub. They've come up very good though ;-)

You take your wheels off and wash the inside rim every week?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.