2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear community,

first of all I want to apologize for my bad english. I am 32 years old and live in Germany. Since i changed my job, I dont have a company car any more and need a daily-driver.

This is the first time I need to buy a car! And now I really want to buy my "teenage-dream". An 8th Gen HB with the 1,8 vtec. I think this car looks awesome and woll look awesome in ten years too. I especially like the latest model, with the black grill without glas. I think it is the most beautiful Civic Hb ever.

The youngest of these cars are now ten years old. I read a lot of this car in the internet.

The radio is hard to fix and some display won't work after replacement.
The back window often leaks and there is water in the trunk. Replacement costs 1600 € here in Germany.
Spare parts are high-priced. Even junkyard prices are high, because there are not many of them in Germany.
The displays get problems often..

On the other hand: They seem to have no problems with rust and the motors are fine.

2009-2011 models with <100.000 km are priced are ranging from 5 to 8k €. Do you think this is a good value? i really want to drive it some years as a daily-driver and want to keep it as long as possible as a secondary car.

Would you recommend to buy one now? What would be good checklist before buying?

I know it is an used car, everything can happen and it will need love and money, but I want to know, what the "ownership-risks" of this car is.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
Hi Izzy

This guide is from the TypeR forum but most of the issues apply to the non-R cars as well:

The 1.8 petrol is a very reliable car. Before I bought one I asked a mechanic what he thought. "Only ever see them for brakes and a service" he said. So I bought one and now also have the FN2 TypeR as well.

The wet trunk can be a problem IF it happens, just check any potential purchase very carefully in that area.
Just check what you would check on any used car before you buy it and you should be ok.
If it looks like it has been well cared for, it probably has been.

If you want something that is common in Germany then throw your money away on a boring BMW or VW.

·
i-Vtec
2,615 Posts
Welcome to Civinfo.

As far as a Daily driver goes the suspension is on the firm side, even with new suspension its no Citroen when it comes to comfort, but its passable. The 1.8 gets 40mpg and it is nippy, if not fast. The boot is big for a car in this sector, the magic rear seats(5 door) make it an even bigger car.
The back window often leaks and there is water in the trunk. Replacement costs 1600 € here in Germany.
Spare parts are high-priced. Even junkyard prices are high, because there are not many of them in Germany.
I have a 2009 face lift model and so far......
No issues with radio
No issues with leaks
Spare parts are reasonably price, indeed I replaced most of my suspension(Bilstein) from AutoDoc at very reasonable prices. DIY servicing on a par with my last car, Vectra C. Exhausts dont seem to be cheap but I have not had to replace that so far. Tyres are 225/45/17 so even quality rubber(Goodyear, Dunlop, Conti, etc)are cheap.
No issues with the displays.

Biggest single issue with the Gen8 is if you look at metal roof versions make sure the leading edge next to the windscreen has no rust bubbles. Obviously this is not an issue with Panoramic models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replys!

Spare parts are reasonably price, indeed I replaced most of my suspension(Bilstein) from AutoDoc at very reasonable prices.
I think the situation in the UK is different, since the Civic 8 is a more popular car there. Even a junkyard tailgate costs 400-500 € here in Germany. At the very end, Dover is a three hour drive from me. Maybe I should find a good Civic mechanic there for maintenance/repairs :D

I will need to wait until the end of the summer to buy the car- Maybe I will find a reasonable one. The alternative is the 9G. Whicht looks a bit borung.

Regards!

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
Autodoc and similar websites are based in Germany. We just see the .Co.UK version so there must be a local .DE site you could access.
Your issue is finding used left hand drive parts at sensible prices because as you say Hondas are not so popular in Germany. It would be very rare to find LHD parts in the UK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello dear community,

first of all I want to apologize for my bad english. I am 32 years old and live in Germany. Since i changed my job, I dont have a company car any more and need a daily-driver.

This is the first time I need to buy a car! And now I really want to buy my "teenage-dream". An 8th Gen HB with the 1,8 vtec. I think this car looks awesome and woll look awesome in ten years too. I especially like the latest model, with the black grill without glas. I think it is the most beautiful Civic Hb ever.

The youngest of these cars are now ten years old. I read a lot of this car in the internet.

On the other hand: They seem to have no problems with rust and the motors are fine.

2009-2011 models with <100.000 km are priced are ranging from 5 to 8k €. Do you think this is a good value? i really want to drive it some years as a daily-driver and want to keep it as long as possible as a secondary car.

Would you recommend to buy one now? What would be good checklist before buying?

I know it is an used car, everything can happen and it will need love and money, but I want to know, what the "ownership-risks" of this car is.

Thank you!
Great car, no issues but known to require brakes and discs.

if you bought something else Im sure you would have more niggles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You ask in civic forum if we recommend :) Yes, we do. I bought mine ~5 years ago, 2011 model, automatic. It had done some 80000km. Now it has 150000 on clock, no issues. So far apart from regular maintenance changed front shocks/springs and changed one set of brakes, which in my mind is also maintenance. Last 8000 km average consumption is 7,7l/100km, but manual will be more economic. No rust, no electric issues, drives well, has big boot, pretty spacious for a small car.

Early gen 9 car are now also pretty cheap, you can check them too. Ride is better than gen8 and engine is little bit better tuned to work with automatic gearbox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts