2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurance is up for renewal soon and I have been shopping around with the plan of remapping and getting suitable insurance.

Now 28yo, 10y ncd, fully comp with experience with high power cars (used to own a MG ZS 180 and a Scoob WRX 225)

Standard car:
Last year = £251
Renewal = £348 (40% increase on premium [smilie=puking.gif] )
Best compare the market = £323

I know the gov want to raise insurance tax but 40% is ridiculous!

Modded: AIB quoted £390 which is rather good (Remap, Suspension, Brakes, LED lights and Gear knob) so I think I will go with them and go ahead with my planned modifications.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
I would bite anyones hand off if I only had to paid £323 for insurance :lol:

Mines is due for renewal in May and I cant seem to get it any cheaper even though I have one more year NCB... it could be due to the new Type R coming out though and the FN2 etc being more affordable for younger people...

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
I'm old and insurance is not too much of an issue. Postcode seems to have an impact.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Yes but I'm 29 now and it's basically gone up by £200 just for the charger. I paid £100+ a few months ago just to add it. Something isn't right anyway, even with 340bhp declared its higher than expected due to some other factor. Perhaps the tax I don't know. I will try Adrian flux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand it is 'cheap' especially as I'm 28, but its the increase in premium I just can't comprehend. The only change I made on the regular unmodified quote was that I have 10yr NCB instead of 9yr's.

Even the cheapest quote is still 30% over last years. Can you imagine if you boss said hey, this year I'm putting your wages up 30%?!

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Was the premium last year the first premium with a new insurer?

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was the premium last year the first premium with a new insurer?
Nope, was a renewal with Hastings Direct, been with them 2 years now.
I know the whole 'new customer discount'.
I cancelled a renewal before and then insured with the same company due to that.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got a quote from another Civinfo insurer, £370 with all mods:
Engine Remap to ~195hp
Clutch upgrade
Suspension springs
Uprated brake calipers and discs
Interior LED upgrade
Daytime running lights
Reverse camera
Aftermarket Gearknob and Gaiter

Not too bad, think that the one to go for. Still need to call Hastings and ask them why my insurance is so high on renewal :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I did a recent round of quotes thanks to the Money Saving Expert advice that prices will be going up and my policy expires at the end of May. I am in my early 30s, my Civic is my first car, which I will have owned for a year hopefully with a year's NCB.

None of the companies doing quotes valid for 60 days came anywhere near what I am paying at the moment. Aviva were the closest at £398. My current insurer (Direct Line) only do quotes for 30 days, but were down at £337, which is less than what I am currently paying. Hopefully, I can get a similar quote later this month...

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
I've got a friend who is a broker and he reckons car insurance has increased about £75 across the board in the last year.

With whiplash claims now more difficult I was expecting it to go down.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I've got a friend who is a broker and he reckons car insurance has increased about £75 across the board in the last year.

With whiplash claims now more difficult I was expecting it to go down.
I've noticed it seems to have gone up this year too. :(

I've switched insurance companies and paid around £40 more than last year.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My renewal with Adrian Flux went down this year (year#2 with them), which pleasantly surprised me.
Flux told me that owning the modd'd for the a year with them will lower the 2nd year premium.

However, their quote was just too high.
I really think that whiplash should not be paid out on anymore - pay out on broken necks and tell whiplash claimers they are lucky its not a broken neck :worms:

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chris Knott was the cheapest quote for me and still provided a comprehensive cover.

Reactions: ChrisKnottIns
1 - 20 of 121 Posts