2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I recently dropped my iPhone 4S in the Mediterranean Sea (oops!) so I've ordered myself the 5s. Only problem is that every audio device I have is for a 30 pin connector. The new iPhones have the lightening connectors so I gotta overhaul my audio set up :( I tested the mrs' iPhone 5s on my xcarlink with an adaptor, but it neither charged or played music through the stereo. ATM I can get away with using the AUX xcarlink cable, but I can't use the steering wheel for controls :/

Does anyone have a setup for an iPhone 5s? I really don't want to take my dash apart again, so literally wanna get it right 1st time!

I can't afford the double din upgrade.

Oh and what's the iPhone holder people use? The 5s doesn't fit in the silver cubby hole in the centre console...

Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can't you just get the adaptor from apple that connects the 30 pin connection to the lightning one? That's what I done with my Parrot kit. Just make sure its a genuine one from apple (£25!) and not a cheap copy and it should be fine.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Can't you just get the adaptor from apple that connects the 30 pin connection to the lightning one? That's what I done with my Parrot kit. Just make sure its a genuine one from apple (£25!) and not a cheap copy and it should be fine.
Does the apple 30pin to lightning play music or does it just charge?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the £25 adaptor :'( and hopefully that works cus the cheapy one on eBay didn't (although it charges on wall plug). The phone doesn't fit in the hole in front of the gear stick. Do you chaps have yours in the arm rest? Or on holders? If so where do you run your cables from the radio to?

·
mmmm bacon
638 Posts
You actually need an iCar, this is exactly like every other car, but ten times more expensive... ;)

You may have guessed I'm not an apple fan.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iPhones are great. It's just the way they seclude themselves from the rest of the market is very annoying!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a parrot hands free kit and it's plugged into the back of the stereo with the cables running thorough the centre console and into the storage space in the arm rest.

If you buy the cheap adapters off the net you tend to have the problems like not charging or sync which is why I bit the bullet and bought the proper one from apple to avoid those issues. I agree its a total rip off paying £25 for something which cost a few pence to make but that's apple for you!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have the iPhone 5 (which has the same lightning connector) and use it with my XCarLink just with the official Apple 30 pin to lightning adaptor. Works fine (charges, plays music) - although after iOS 7 I don't seem to be able to use the +/- wheel controls to move through tracks in Spotify like before :\

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah ok mate. I had a cable from Apple (0.2m length) and it only works with the iphone 5 on wall charges etc, but not on xcarlink. I've got a new xcarlink iPod cable on order, but I still need an adapter that works :(

Where do have your iPhone? Mine doesn't fit in the cubby hole in front of the gear stick...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have it sitting up in the cupholder bit (with the cup bit slid all the way back), kind of resting against the ashtray part. Not sure if that makes sense!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I've got my iphone connected with genuine apple cable to honda music link 2.0 (iPod adapter) everything works a treat. Charging and steering controls

It's placed in a brodit holder just left of the gear stick. Not the cheapest but we'll worth the money IMO

I had to get a Y cable (£10) cos I've got satnav

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try the honda link 2.0 if this one doesn't work.

Mrhahn, where do u put your drinks then? Lol

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
hi bench.did you have any probs pairing your iphone to the hft cant get mine to pair its an iphone 5 my nokia paired no probs cheers tam

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Hi Tam

The only issues I had was I accidentally changed the HFT into German. I had to tell it in German to change language "sprakern andern" (or something like that) but once back into English it paired no probs (even with IOS7)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
ok cheers just have to keep trying couldn't get my other iphone3 paired either thought it was something to do with apple they pair with the parrot in the works van no probs.tam

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update. The small adapter (the one without a 20cm cable) worked with the xcarlink. Happy days! Just need a phone holder cus it sticks out the cubby hole!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts