2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My eight gen civic could with a whole front suspension revamp at 80k mileage. I am not the most technical and I was quoted shocks bumpstops drop links and struts for around £800. Do you think that’s a fair price?
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
My Type S GT is at 63000 miles and is fine. Are you sure the whole front suspension needs replacing ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Type S GT is at 63000 miles and is fine. Are you sure the whole front suspension needs replacing ?
Yeah the car is knackered. The ride is rough and clunking noises coming everywhere’s especially when it comes to humps. It’s. 1.8 ishift

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I'm with cheekee.
You can get the shocks from ECP or others - go for Sachs, Honda do.
Would probably recommend buying Honda top mounts and bump stops to be sure of the quality - check Cox motor parts and get your dealer to price match.
Drop links from Meyle HD, about £20 a side I think.

springs should be okay unless they are showing severe corrosion.
the bushes can be inspected at the same time - ARB bushes will want changing for sure.

Then find a decent indie garage and save a load on labour.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,241 Posts
If you're getting crash, bang and wallop over the slightest bump, I'd say change the drop links, I wouldn't be as severe as the whole suspension setup. Drop links are simple to fit, only issue I had with my old 8G was that I had to grind them off. Once changed a while load of peace and tranquility. Don't buy cheap though as I did as the cheapo's I bought from eBay only lasted a year.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
i'm in the process of replacing all my suspension
£144.23 Bump stop kit from COX
£71.25 Top Mounts from COX
£38.95 Meyle HD Drop links from Ebay
£97.73 Rear Bilstein Shocks From Buy Car Parts (Autodoc)
£150 ish for front Bilstein shocks from Euro Car Parts, i did mange two for one on these though
£12 for Anti Roll Bar Bushes from August Motors on Ebay they were genuine Honda
Second Hand Eibach Springs £75
£589.16 for parts

Didn't realize i had spent that much until i have just added it up, i have been buying it bit by bit, and just put up with all the clunking

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this post is a little old now, I think I am going through the same thing, either the suspension is biased more toward handling than comfort and I am not sure if it my issues are due to bad parts or just that this is just the way it rides. Mine is on 32 odd thousand miles and has not been driven much in 12 years.

Did the parts you bought and fit make a difference?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I know this post is a little old now, I think I am going through the same thing, either the suspension is biased more toward handling than comfort and I am not sure if it my issues are due to bad parts or just that this is just the way it rides. Mine is on 32 odd thousand miles and has not been driven much in 12 years.

Did the parts you bought and fit make a difference?
i get it all fitted next week so i cant comment yet

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's always worth checking that everything is nice and tight, a loose top mount will cause all kinds of crashing, banging and chirruping and might just need a turn or two with a spanner.

Also, drop links and ARB bushings are very easy to replace and worth having a crack at for the £60 or so they'll cost you (for Honda bushes and decent quality drop links).

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I should go to a mechanic and ask him to go through the suspension? Alright I'll go take the car to someone I know. I hadn't thought about that, thank you MilanoFN2. Also Grossey, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I should go to a mechanic and ask him to go through the suspension? Alright I'll go take the car to someone I know. I hadn't thought about that, thank you MilanoFN2. Also Grossey, let us know how it goes!
No problem at all, the main reason I mentioned checking all strut and control arm fixings is detailed here:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
My car has done 102000 miles
i have replaced all four struts with Bilstien, Eibach Lowering springs,new honda top mounts, New honda bump stop kits, Meyle HD drop links, new honda ARB's + two new J&R driveshafts and i can say it's the best it has ever been since owning the car which had 75000 on it then, i didnt buy it all at once, i collected it gradually buying bits month by month which kind of worked out in my favour with the drive shafts, they went before i had chance to get all the suspension parts fitted so got them fitted at the same time i got charged 5 hours labour to fit my collection of parts, i'm very happy with it and for me it doesn't matter how much i spent because i will never sell this car, it has sentimental value and its the only one in the country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey

Thank you for your input guys, I am going to have my suspension gubbins looked at by a mechanic who said he most likely won't charge. I have my own two theories, one is that because this car has not been driven very much (currently at 32K) some of the parts my have 'decayed' over time and perhaps require changing or that because the car has not seen too much action over its life that nothing requires to be changed but that is to be seen.

I don't intend to sell my car either, sorry for the slight sob story but I suffer with Fibromyalgia which means I am in pain all the time and I came to a point where I was no longer able to drive a manual, it was too painful for me so I got the I shift kinda in a rush. I know buying a car in a rush is always a bad idea but I had no choice and since then I have found enjoyment in driving once more after a decade of it being a painful excersise. I got a honda for reliability and I have worked around the few quirks of the I shift box, just need to be gentle and let it do its thing in its own time. Its no type r but it is the reason I now can enjoy driving. Just need to change a few things to make it almost perfect.

I went to London yesterday and I recall hearing squeaking/rattling which was new to me.

Grossey what you have done is the same thing I may do too, the cost can mount up if your not careful. If I have a few parts that require changing I may ask you where you got your parts from and get them, perhaps even uprgade the parts for strength and life extendability if there is such a word lol.

Cheers guys, I'll keep this post updated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts