1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I dont have a mugen so wouldnt concider it but i can understand why people buy copies. There no way its worth amount regardless of company design and research.

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
Mugen is clearly a "Veblen good", thar is: a product for which people's preference for buying them increases as their price increases, as greater price confers greater status, instead of decreasing according to the law of demand.
To me, there is no other explanation. I know they are quality products, but let's be honest: they're far from being "budget"!

Reactions: JohnnyBoy

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Let's please just make sure that we do not turn this into a thread about condoning fake parts.
Im not trying to justify companies manufacturing of counterfeit goods but I think its stuff like the Mugen plug cover that make it worth doing.
Lots of people love the Mugen stuff but they just seem to price themselvs out of the market opening the door for the other companies to take the spoils.

·
Registered
317 Posts
£350 for a ruddy plug cover!!!!

Mugen must have been on the :cheers:when they came up with the price for that one!

You "can" buy a car for that!:rolleyes:

Then again - how much is it for the cover n how much for sticker on it!

·
Its a cake, not a biscuit
2,046 Posts

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Mugen is clearly a "Veblen good", thar is: a product for which people's preference for buying them increases as their price increases, as greater price confers greater status, instead of decreasing according to the law of demand.
To me, there is no other explanation. I know they are quality products, but let's be honest: they're far from being "budget"!
Nail. Head. Hit.

Herein lies your problem. The attitude amongst certain elements of the car tuning community is price = quality. This is not the case. For these people, paying a high price separates them from the other peons in their circle, elevating them in their own minds at least. Then others catch the bug, and need to try and keep up with them, as it were.

I have no issue with companies producing performance parts that they have put extensive R&D into, and charging a premium price to recoup their expenses. This product is clearly an exercise in profiteering, and is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy any genuine Mugen product for my car. Ever.

When price = performance, it gets my vote. This price just = status (to idiots), and that ladies and gentlemen, is a giant pile of monkey droppings.

Reactions: stoney

·
Hon-da-da-da-da!
181 Posts
Its ridiculous, just like the Mugen numper plate bolts. Yeah they look nice but there about £50 for 4 bolts that say "Mugen Power" on them! Madness

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I have no issue with companies producing performance parts that they have put extensive R&D into, and charging a premium price to recoup their expenses. This product is clearly an exercise in profiteering, and is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy any genuine Mugen product for my car. Ever.

When price = performance, it gets my vote. This price just = status (to idiots), and that ladies and gentlemen, is a giant pile of monkey droppings.
Totally agree - couldn't have put it better myself!

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was only a few weeks ago, I posted about Mugen panel filter for the standard air box, if i remember £130 + £10 delivery.

I wonder if they ever sell any ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.