2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this part exchange price acceptable?

My local Honda dealer has offered me £7,500 for my four year old 2008 Civic EX in part exchange for a new 2012 EX GT Auto with Premium Pack costing £26,915.

My mileage is 19,000. There are no dents, bumps or scratches but all four wheels need refurfishing due to kerbing.

I am being given no discount or special deals on the new 2012 model so the price of my old car is all I have to bargain with.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Got 10000 for my 08 ex last april against a new ex gt, with 4 years free service and 0% finance and 2000 off list, but that was due to them trying to shift stock, I take it yours will be the new model? so good luck.....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Is this part exchange price acceptable?

My local Honda dealer has offered me £7,500 for my four year old 2008 Civic EX in part exchange for a new 2012 EX GT Auto with Premium Pack costing £26,915.

My mileage is 19,000. There are no dents, bumps or scratches but all four wheels need refurfishing due to kerbing.

I am being given no discount or special deals on the new 2012 model so the price of my old car is all I have to bargain with.
The price for you car is about right part ex. You could tidy the alloys up and sell it privately for more - this maybe the way to go if they aren't giving you any discounts on the new Civic. If you price it sensibly it will sell quickly.

I would seriously baulk at paying 27K for a new Civic though, even fully loaded. You could have an EX Accord for that money, and probably get more chance of a discount because its not a brand new model. Or a Lexus CT200h....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think the new Civ is a great car (much better interior, quieter, rides better) but the EX prices are over the top. I'd go for either the 1.8 ES or 2.2 ES (19k and 21k) much more sensible price (for a Civ) and you still get all the gadgets like auto wipers, auto lights, folding mirrors etc.

On this kind of car, buying the top end model is a recipie for the worst depreciation in the range. In three years time the price diff between an es and ex could be less than 1k...

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
I think the new Civ is a great car (much better interior, quieter, rides better) but the EX prices are over the top. I'd go for either the 1.8 ES or 2.2 ES (19k and 21k) much more sensible price (for a Civ) and you still get all the gadgets like auto wipers, auto lights, folding mirrors etc.

On this kind of car, buying the top end model is a recipie for the worst depreciation in the range. In three years time the price diff between an es and ex could be less than 1k...
As with any car, the top end will drop like a brick

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Check out glass guide. You will have to pay about £3.50 i think but its worth it. i've done it with my last few cars because its what the trade use. Shows your different prices. Just to make sure you are getting what you should.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
If you really want the 2012 Civic then go to another dealer. For them not to budge on the sticker price is absolutely ridiculous.

Check out glass guide. You will have to pay about £3.50 i think but its worth it. i've done it with my last few cars because its what the trade use. Shows your different prices. Just to make sure you are getting what you should.
I used it last month and it was free? There's always Parker's, too.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
If you really want the 2012 Civic then go to another dealer. For them not to budge on the sticker price is absolutely ridiculous. Really?

I used it last month and it was free? There's always Parker's, too.
The auto express of the pricing world my friend.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Yes, really. They want your business, after all - and if you can get a discount on a new washing machine from Comet/other then I damn sure expect movement on the price of a new car. In fact, I always believed the profit margin to be wider on new cars than second hand. If that's true, why wouldn't they move on the price unless they think you're a sucker?

For trade in prices on my car; Glass's gives me "£5,970.00 to £7,201.00", Parkers says "£6,425".
Not exactly a problem there... Parkers has always been fine for a guide price IME.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Yes, really. They want your business, after all - and if you can get a discount on a new washing machine from Comet/other then I damn sure expect movement on the price of a new car. In fact, I always believed the profit margin to be wider on new cars than second hand. If that's true, why wouldn't they move on the price unless they think you're a sucker?

For trade in prices on my car; Glass's gives me "£5,970.00 to £7,201.00", Parkers says "£6,425".
Not exactly a problem there... Parkers has always been fine for a guide price IME.
It's not true.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Fair enough. Then I'd expect there to be less budging on price, but still something.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Personally, I think nearly all of the guides are out at the moment. I wouldn't go with any of em. I paid for a full Glasses valuation last year and every dealer wouldn't give me anything close to the trade in valuation, even if the car was mint.

I've been to quite a few auctions over the last year, and the people I talk to are saying the same: High prices (through lower volumes) and lower margins are causing dealers to play safe on trade in values.

Best thing if your selling yourself is look what the other private sales are selling for. If trading in, get as many dealer quotes as you can be bothered with.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Bear in mind this is a new model, typically there is lower probability you are going to get much, if anything, off. Stock levels are lower, and demand higher.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Bear in mind this is a new model, typically there is lower probability you are going to get much, if anything, off.
My local dealership were at least offering 0% on the new model when I test drove it last week... but the OP is getting nothing at all which is why I, if I were in their place, would walk away.

Best thing if your selling yourself is look what the other private sales are selling for. If trading in, get as many dealer quotes as you can be bothered with.
I wasn't looking at the values themselves, more at the difference between the two guides.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts