Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 3 7.5%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 8th gen civic was hands down the best car I have ever owned, the perfect balance between practicality, power and MPG. Yes, it was a bit cheap and would rattle in places, but I learned to live with that.

When the 9th gen civic was first released, I didn't really like it :worms:. However since the more recent 2015 facelift, I find myself being completely drawn to it, it's a completely different beast in my eyes.

I am looking at purchasing a 2015 SR model in the 1.6 diesel over the petrol, as in recent time I have been swayed towards the diesel engine over the petrol due to the low down power delivery. However not all engines are equal and the Honda's 1.6 producing a measly 118 bhp with a 0-60 of 10.5 secs, I really cant help doubt if the power is going to be acceptable for me in the long run. This is a shame as the civic is the perfect car for my lifestyle with the magic seats for camping stuff and large boot for the dog.

Is there anyone here that has owned the 1.6 diesel for a decent period of time? Are you still happy with the power (for overtaking etc)? It would be nice to hear someones opinion who has owned a quicker diesel or even the 1.8 petrol.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's good. Amazingly efficient. I have done over 40k with average (real not reading from Honda computer) consumption is 4.3l / 100km. Take it its great.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Have you taken one for a test drive? I took one last year for a test drive 1.6 SR and it picked up nicely.. was up to 90 in no time. So the torque is there at the higher speeds for overtaking. I found it much better in pickup compared to my current 1.8 petrol.

I would find my self overtaking easily on a 1.6 diesel - probably easier than the petrol.

I would recommend take one for test drive from a local dealer that's close to a motorway and try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys it does give me some confidence. I haven't test drove one as of yet, just a bit worried I will find the power good on the test drive but then get a bit used to it and find it too slow over time if I purchased one.

I am also looking at the 13 plate CRV EX, has anyone had any experience with these?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I picked up a facelift 2015 1.6idtec SR in Twilight blue just over a month ago after owning a 2.2 for 8 years. The car is very different compared to the 2.2 - I do miss the feeling of a big lump under the bonnet, but having said that, I am delighted with the car. It's much quieter and the ride quality is improved enormously over my 2008 car. You will be very happy with the SR Spec - lots of toys to play with and the panoramic roof too. Just be prepared to use the gearbox a bit more than with the 2.2 and you will enjoy the car, particularly when you see the mpg figures!

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I picked up a facelift 2015 1.6idtec SR in Twilight blue just over a month ago after owning a 2.2 for 8 years. The car is very different compared to the 2.2 - I do miss the feeling of a big lump under the bonnet, but having said that, I am delighted with the car. It's much quieter and the ride quality is improved enormously over my 2008 car. You will be very happy with the SR Spec - lots of toys to play with and the panoramic roof too. Just be prepared to use the gearbox a bit more than with the 2.2 and you will enjoy the car, particularly when you see the mpg figures!

Interesting to hear you've come from a 2.2 and are still happy with it. I have to say my gf owns a 116d to which the specs are very similar to the civic (not sure about torque), the power delivery is very smooth almost like driving a petrol but with more low down power which I like and it never really feels underpowered. Only gripe is it can be a bit sluggish pulling away sometimes if you catch the turbo by surprise.

EDIT: Just came across another thread you have posted in which you state "When I change from 1st to 2nd it seems as though it bogs down. Probably just me not yet adapted to it. SR spec is great though."

This doesn't sound like a good thing to me lol, don't want to put a downer on your purchase but diesels shouldn't really be bogging down low down in the gears. I hate to say it but this sounds like a power issue to me or lack of rather :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've noticed someone has voted no in the poll. Would be nice to see what their opinion is also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 1.6 Dtec so the same engine, and i find it adequate, but not. You do have to change gears quite often to make decent progress, powerless upper in the rev range (change at 4-4.5k), but the fuel economy is great (60mpg average mixed driving). Keep in mind the car is quite heavy...and the suspension setup is still torsion beam on the rears, just uncomfortable if you compare to a golf or audi or auris.

So right now i am actually thinking of selling the Civic, as with the planned government taxes in many cities across the uk, increase parking and god knows what else, it will lose it's value fast (whats left of it anyway) faster than a new Lancia.

I would advise you to get the petrol, as there is just to much hurr hurr about diesel going around, and you just never know what they might come up with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2012 1.6 Dtec so the same engine, and i find it adequate, but not. You do have to change gears quite often to make decent progress, powerless upper in the rev range (change at 4-4.5k), but the fuel economy is great (60mpg average mixed driving). Keep in mind the car is quite heavy...and the suspension setup is still torsion beam on the rears, just uncomfortable if you compare to a golf or audi or auris.

So right now i am actually thinking of selling the Civic, as with the planned government taxes in many cities across the uk, increase parking and god knows what else, it will lose it's value fast (whats left of it anyway) faster than a new Lancia.

I would advise you to get the petrol, as there is just to much hurr hurr about diesel going around, and you just never know what they might come up with.
Thanks for an honest opinion mate. I'll leave the diesel vs petrol argument for another day lol, I did hear that Honda revised the comfort somewhat on the facelift but cant compare as I haven't driven either.

I will give the car a test drive but I think its just as the on paper specs show, it just wont be quick enough and I'll end up getting bored looking for remap boxes etc which I just don't want to be doing with a new car.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
When I say it bogs down when I change from 1st to 2nd, I'm now sure that it's nothing more than me still adapting to the clutch and throttle responses. Anyway, give the car a test drive - at least you'll know then - would be interested to know how you find it!
I have to say that I was thinking of a Golf 2.0 tdi when I decided to change the car, but despite the extra power and better suspension, I couldn't live with the bland generic styling of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I am also looking at the golf GT as it does have adaptive cruise etc and is a quicker car. I do agree golfs are designed to be a good comfortable practical car with a whiff of German quality, they just don't look as exciting or special as the Civic.

I'm going to test drive the 1.8 and the 1.6 to see which feels the best and I'm just hoping they feel quicker than the specs.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Yes I am also looking at the golf GT as it does have adaptive cruise etc and is a quicker car. I do agree golfs are designed to be a good comfortable practical car with a whiff of German quality, they just don't look as exciting or special as the Civic.

I'm going to test drive the 1.8 and the 1.6 to see which feels the best and I'm just hoping they feel quicker than the specs.
I always said that the 2.2 8g had everything I needed from a car, which is why I settled on the 9g as it still has the magic seats and a lot of luggage space. There's no doubt that if the 9g diesel had been available in the 160 hp version, I would have chosen that one. Let me know your thoughts when you've driven the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always said that the 2.2 8g had everything I needed from a car, which is why I settled on the 9g as it still has the magic seats and a lot of luggage space. There's no doubt that if the 9g diesel had been available in the 160 hp version, I would have chosen that one. Let me know your thoughts when you've driven the car.

Yeah I agree. I had the 1.8 in the 8th gen and I thought the power was just right for the weight of the car, now the 9th gen is heavier though, I don't think the petrol is acceptable and so I think the torque of a diesel is needed. It's just a shame that the only option is a 1.6 diesel.

On the weekend I'm going to test drive a civic sr 1.6, golf GT 2.0 tdi and an Audi A3 s line 2.0 tdi.

I'll let you know how it all goes. Power isn't everything in a car, so I won't let the 2 litres of the Germans get to my head. I'm looking for a spacious car with a nice ride and decent quality feel, leaning more towards the civic because of the magic seats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having driven around a 2015 Sport 1.6 DTEC on a couple of occasions (last weekend for about 2,5 hours on end still), I think it is plenty zippy for everyday usage. Especially in the first gears it manages to keep up with (and exceed) traffic well. Perhaps there is some truth in what has been said with regards to having to downshift a bit more at higher speeds. While it is no slouch in 6th gear, by all means it is not as quick as the 2.2s either. Having said that, the 2015 is a much nicer car to sit in (Honda's massively upped the interior quality, in my opinion), drive, and the 1.6 engine is a lot smoother in terms of sound, vibration, and overall acceleration. Fuel economy is, as noted by others before me, excellent. Ride qualities are more balanced than both the 8G and the 9G with the 2.2, where you can really feel the car struggling with coming to terms with the engine's weight in the corners corners (which, frankly, I've found to be worrying at some instances).

The aforementioned 1.6 is due to be remapped next week. After 100,000 miles it's still making a little over 121 bhp (so a tad over factory spec) and the tuner is confident of being able to squeeze about 45 bhp extra out of it, in addition to an extra 80nm of torque, with just the remap. Something to bear in mind for the future. Good luck and have fun with your test drives!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having driven around a 2015 Sport 1.6 DTEC on a couple of occasions (last weekend for about 2,5 hours on end still), I think it is plenty zippy for everyday usage. Especially in the first gears it manages to keep up with (and exceed) traffic well. Perhaps there is some truth in what has been said with regards to having to downshift a bit more at higher speeds. While it is no slouch in 6th gear, by all means it is not as quick as the 2.2s either. Having said that, the 2015 is a much nicer car to sit in (Honda's massively upped the interior quality, in my opinion), drive, and the 1.6 engine is a lot smoother in terms of sound, vibration, and overall acceleration. Fuel economy is, as noted by others before me, excellent. Ride qualities are more balanced than both the 8G and the 9G with the 2.2, where you can really feel the car struggling with coming to terms with the engine's weight in the corners corners (which, frankly, I've found to be worrying at some instances).

The aforementioned 1.6 is due to be remapped next week. After 100,000 miles it's still making a little over 121 bhp (so a tad over factory spec) and the tuner is confident of being able to squeeze about 45 bhp extra out of it, in addition to an extra 80nm of torque, with just the remap. Something to bear in mind for the future. Good luck and have fun with your test drives!
Thanks for your input mate, I'll see how it compares on the weekend. I really want to love the civic, like I said the 8th gen was brilliant in my mind and it was the longest car I have ever kept.

·
Banned
230 Posts
You can tell when theres not enough power,folk start describing them as nippy :)

Being only available in a 1.6 diesel would rule it out for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can tell when theres not enough power,folk start describing them as nippy :)

Being only available in a 1.6 diesel would rule it out for me.
This is exactly my thought process, obviously a great car but Honda have dropped a clanger with the engines this time around.

The Mrs is bringing a 3 series touring back from work tomorrow so I'll get to have a drive and see how good that is. Just doubting the boot hight for the dog though lol.

·
Banned
230 Posts
This is exactly my thought process, obviously a great car but Honda have dropped a clanger with the engines this time around.

The Mrs is bringing a 3 series touring back from work tomorrow so I'll get to have a drive and see how good that is. Just doubting the boot height for the dog though lol.
If that 3 series is the 2.0 D it will be about 170 odd bhp (lost track a little) and go like stink,and still return 40-60 mpg.If its a 6 pot diesel ,it will return 40-50 and be the best diesel you probably ever drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If that 3 series is the 2.0 D it will be about 170 odd bhp (lost track a little) and go like stink,and still return 40-60 mpg.If its a 6 pot diesel ,it will return 40-50 and be the best diesel you probably ever drive.
Yes it's the 320d 184bhp 7.7 secs :)

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

Which remap company have you gone for?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts