2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
trying to work out a way of getting my phone set up in my car (non iPhone) and all I can think of so far without buying a new bluetooth kit is connect a micro USB to cigarette lighter charger directly to the fuse board (leaving the lighter port free) and have another 3.5mm cable terminating at the same point so I can plug it into the headphone socket on the phone.

I am just unaware if there is a way to plug a 3.5mm into the head unit directly if I have a 56 reg with no aux in.

Thinking about it, doing it this way will mean I have to pick up the phone etc to change track. Perhaps a kit like this would be better as the phone will (I think) be recognised as a removable drive so I could use the wheel controls as I understand it as it'll be connected up like a cd changer.

However, I dont think I'll get much of a charge out of that socket. I've been told it is 5A.

Is there some miraculous solution that I'm missing??

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I used to have an FM transmitter but to be honest I was so sick of interference all day long that I'd really love to get some sort of hard wired connection working

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Hi what i have done is get a fm transmitter that runs off a 12v power supply and then plug it in the rear 12v sockwet in the boot right next to the cars aerial! That way the strength of the transmitter is far stronger and overpowers any other signals. Then I have a 3.5mm extension cable to the front of the car and plug my ipd in it. This also means that i can use the 12v socket in the front of the car still. I have a "belkin auto something" which also has some settings for boosting the volume and bass (really handy in a civic!) and it remembers all the settings. Also it powers off if not getting any sound. Works really well actually!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks very much for that. So your FM transmitter just has a 3.5mm line in and it is that signal that is transmitted back to the stereo?

I would consider an FM transmitter but only really if there is no simple way of getting a wired connection

·
Supporter
641 Posts
with this am I right in saying I'd get no steering wheel or head unit controls? Even the volume?
you will be able to adjust the volume via the steering wheel but wont be able to change tracks

·
Train Driver Stu
323 Posts
The connects2 box plugs into the socket used for the cd changer (where fitted.) It fools the HU into thinking your ipod/mp3 is a cd changer so you simply set the HU to CDC and control your ipod normally. You can still of course use the steering wheel volume control. If you leave the volume on your ipod at max it is the same as the radio then adjust it using the steering wheel control.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
thanks very much for that. So your FM transmitter just has a 3.5mm line in and it is that signal that is transmitted back to the stereo?

I would consider an FM transmitter but only really if there is no simple way of getting a wired connection
Hi yes that right, it also means you don't have to remove the stereo from the car. You will need to change tracks witht the ipod (or whatever mp3 player you have) but you can use the controls on the steering wheel to adjust the volume.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The connects2 box plugs into the socket used for the cd changer (where fitted.) It fools the HU into thinking your ipod/mp3 is a cd changer so you simply set the HU to CDC and control your ipod normally. You can still of course use the steering wheel volume control. If you leave the volume on your ipod at max it is the same as the radio then adjust it using the steering wheel control.

in that case if I had folders on my MP3/Phone named CD01, CD02 up to CD06 each containing MP3s would the connect2 recognise them and let me select folders/tracks from the head unit/steering wheel or are you saying it would be volume only that i could control with the cars buttons, the rest is down to touching the phone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts