2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently saving like mad for a Type R and the only thing I would love to change is how you use the start button & key.

I know the below isnt really that important but would like to be a bit different,

In an ideal world I would like to be able to use the start button without using the key like in the Merc SL500 AMG (I think its that one) where you have a card in your pocket and when you sit in the car you can start it without the keys, is this sort of thing available after market ? is it really expensive ? (more than likely) any one have any ideas ?

Cheers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

The main reason I wanted to see if it could be done is that I think it is a bit strange having a start button when you still have to use the key, dont get me wrong when I get my CTR I'm sure I will never get bored of pressing it, but I just think its just one more turn of the key and you could be away anyway.

It would also be nice to carry less keys.

Thanks for letting me know it isnt possible Pottsy, shame that

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Wow, must rush out and buy one today............. oh wait.......nearly forgot they are pants!!
Yet another constructive criticism on Civinfo of a car that has the misfortune of not being a Honda....
You do realize the Swift Sport is a Suzuki and is most certainly not pants!

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Its the one thing Honda missed out on. The start button really is a gimmick when you still have to use a key. The whole idea of having a button is to eliminate having to use the key.

·
Banned
88 Posts
my bosses BM has a cheap funny plastic thing that you have to slide into the dash, then press the button. so its not just honda slipping up :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try looking on ebay, they have loads of alarm systems that allow for remote start. Maybe you can adapt on of these so when you unlock the ignition turns on, but you still have to push the button or something...

·
Civic's got Big Booty !
184 Posts
Does the honda have a mechanical or electronic steering lock, I think this is the first thing to look at!

If its mechanical, then without breaking it then there is no fix, if its electrical then its possible to build an RF based relay tripped circuit that means when you get in it unlocks and primes the ignition ready for the key press and vice versa when you leave the vehicle.

RF locking is a piece of cake although would not be cheap to build the system.
and like these alarm systems you would have to leave immobiliser transponder hidden behind the dash.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Start button OR Key. To have both is plain daft.
what about safety?
imagine for ANY reason you are outside the door and the key card you have is close enough to activate the ignition button and a kid is inside the car playing with the buttons...
if you try to push the ignition button on the Type-R while a gear is on, the car is moving.
i am high tech freak my self but ...imho they key is fine!
on the other side why having a key AND a button ? i guess thats only show off.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
There is an advantage over having both rather than just the key, in that if you stall in traffic you just have to press the start button rather than turn the key making the restart much quicker. Admittedly you'd have the same advantage with a keyless car!

A lot of the keyless ignition systems still make you put something in the dash anyway. My dad has a Toyota Verso and you have to slot the keyfob into the dash first. I think the previous model Laguna was the same.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Yet another constructive criticism on Civinfo of a car that has the misfortune of not being a Honda....
You do realize the Swift Sport is a Suzuki and is most certainly not pants!
If i was 18 again i think the New Suzuki Swift GTI would have been my choice of car [smilie=cheeky-grin:

When the delivery of my R was delayed i did think about buying one with the idea of selling it in 12 months and buying an R when delivery times cammed down.

·
Civic's got Big Booty !
184 Posts
I think that the push button start is pretty cool, it even fades away at night! Why have a card, how would you set the alarm with a card?
Before I got my A4 I had a renault Laguna with the key card. It is a great idea if not just a little too large (would have liked it to be about 3/4's of its size), it has lock and unlock buttons for opening doors (unless you have autolocking).
you stick it in the slot on the dashboard and hit the start/stop button.

Worked a treat to be honest and a lot easier than fumbling to find the ignition lock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts