2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought myself a 2010 2.2 CTDI Civic. When accelerating, especially if in fourth gear the rev counter increases (as you would expect), but then stops, and even begins to decrease a few seconds later despite still having my foot on the accelerator.

Despite this, the car's speed does increase as expected.

Is this normal? Surely the rev counter should keep on increasing if I still have my foot on the accelerator?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,912 Posts
What you describe could be the recovery from the clutch initially slipping. Clutch slip is a reasonably common problem on these engines and is costly to repair.

You need to prove whether this is really clutch slip... Drive up a long incline around 2000 RPM (peak engine torque) in a high gear at constant speed and then floor the throttle. A slipping clutch should cause the revs to rise much faster than the speed increase and then come back down when you lift off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon, that was one of my fears, though I discounted it because the speed of the car did increase despite the rev counter stopping, and going down.

I don't know if its relevant, but the previous day while accelerating the engine stalled, throwing out engine code "P1236 boost pressure above expected". The main dealer simply requested that the situation be monitored, which is slightly unnerving. Will definitely try the clutch test. Thanks again.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,912 Posts
Getting a P1236 is rare. Possibly the variable nozzle of the turbo is sticking, or the cat has been removed?

Did you buy the car from a honda main dealer?

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's the first signs of the infamous clutch slip don't worry about it utilizes its undrivable which should be ages yet ✋

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jon G and KennyB.

Clutch seems to be a common theme. I will test this tomorrow. I am surprised though because upon acceleration, the rev-counter appears to stop and go down. The car continues to accelerate, albeit slowly.

I would have thought a clutch issue would show the opposite, whereby the revcounter continues to increase, with the speed of the car remaining static.1

With regards to the stalling issue, the car was bought from Sytner Select, though they referred me onto a Honda main dealer, who produced the ""P1236 boost pressure above expected" code and simply asked me to keep an eye on it, which is rather unnerving.

Thanks again both and will let you know outcome of the clutch test.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its probable the fault code and clutch slip are linked. If there is a moment of overboost you will get torque spikes (engine making higher than normal) and the clutch will not be able to take the extra power because it is not rated for that amount of power (whether the clutch is old or new). Get that turbo issue sorted and it should stop doing it

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
It's the first signs of the infamous clutch slip don't worry about it utilizes its undrivable which should be ages yet ✋

If it's still under guarantee it should go straight back to the dealer. It sounds more like flywheel failure which has made the clutch plate wear. The cost of replacing both is £1500 or more and the signs of failure, as described, come as early as 25000 miles. It depends on the previous owners.

The worst thing to do when driving these cars is to stay in 2nd gear and chug along in traffic jams. Although it may sound noisy, far better to stay in first up to 15mph or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved

The issues are now resolved, and wanted to post this in case it is of help to anyone else, and to thanks all those who responded.

The P1236 code was due to a faulty turbo solenoid valve, problem was resolved when the valve was replaced.

The revmeter symptom was indeed the clutch, problem has gone now that it has been replaced.

Thanks again to all those that responded.

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Thanks for the updates, they should come in useful.

Good to hear that you are all sorted now too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts