2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
old brake fluid or high milage fluid absorbes water, usually from condensation and because water has a lower boiling point you experience brake fade much quicker ??

Cheers

Terry:readpaper:

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
old brake fluid or high milage fluid absorbes water, usually from condensation and because water has a lower boiling point you experience brake fade much quicker ??

Cheers

Terry:readpaper:
Yes, also rubber hoses allow very tiny amounts of moisture pass through them causing the same problem, moisture in the fluid.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Also, allways use a new sealed bottle of fluid, if the seal is broken or part used then bin it. As the fluid is hydroscopic (attracts water) it will have degraded.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Yes

I had my brake fluid changed at 50k miles in my last car and was initially unhappy with the cost of the service.

However the improvement in braking was amazing, the spongy long travel brakes I had got used to were history. I guess deterioration of the fluid and moisture absorption had built up gradually over time.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I cannot think of any car manufacturer that doesnt have a 3 year brake fluid replacement schedule, as stated its hydroscopic.

For cars in recent memory the average person has no need to top up the fluid/own any, any dropping level is usually down to pad wear and will have the pads changed before topping up is required.

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
True.

Although I should point out that the correct term is hygroscopic and not hydroscopic.

·
No Jedi mind tricks pls
394 Posts
True.

Although I should point out that the correct term is hygroscopic and not hydroscopic.
oooooooooh ! lol all to do with heat cooling down..... :popcorn2:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't forget its not just age of fluid but whether you get the brakes hot regular ( hot as in really hot), Contiued braking and getting the fluid hot and close to there boiling temps will degrade the fluid.

My type r is the first car I have ever had where the heat from the braking system components heats up the fluid to near useless so quick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to be picky guys but the word is "hygroscopic".

Hydroscopic pertains to a hydroscope which is a device used to view objects far below the surface of water.

Now that I've got that off my chest what about the grocers' apostrophe...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just love the fact he was sharp enough to spot the mistake yet didn't notice someone else had already pointed it out!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts