1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Private registration
Having never involved myself in these things before..Its been fairly smooth
BUT
I contacted 'The Post Office' with whom, I'm insured with and they have charged me £20 to update the change of registration on their records
Is this usual?
Have I been fleeced? :confused:

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Unfortunately some insurers will try to get as much money out of you as they can. In my experience some do and some don't when it comes to re-issuing insurance certificates for a change of registration.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it might be a lottery...I suppose its the price I pay for using the cheapest quote..Its still bloody annoying though

·
Supporter
641 Posts
I had a £25 'admin fee' when I changed jobs. I argued it was a rip off when all they do is change it on their computers and takes less than a minute. I tried complaining and speaking to a manager however still had to pay it.
I am really starting to get wound up by these sorts of things nowadays, must be turning into my dad :(

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
it is normal sadly admiral is £17.50 im in the process of buying one atm im planning on calling up threatening to not go with them next year and see what happens

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Yeah its one of those annoying things, its as bad as bank charges whereby the work done to facilitate this "admin fee" is nowhere near relative to what they charge. Im with aviva to, after 9 years with admiral, so far havent had to use them for anything, but as its all online it says that changes wont incur an admin fee if i do them myself online, but if i ring them its about £25. This is just the admin charge though, so any modifications to the car would probably incur a charge

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I would have expected a small 'admin fee' and £20 for an insurance company is quite reasonable IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I just done this and didn't get charged a thing. Tell em where to stick it. They get enough money from drivers as it is ! £20 for what ? Typing a new number onto your file .....please !

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just done this and didn't get charged a thing. Tell em where to stick it. They get enough money from drivers as it is ! £20 for what ? Typing a new number onto your file .....please !
They told me they would have to contact the DVLA to check on the registration change.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Hmmm maybe true but why do companies do it free an others charge silly fees ?
cos' some companies charge lower premiums and need to recoup extra costs and other charge higher premiums who can manage extra costs -

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Fair enough but I would be asking for them to waive it
you can ask but if it's written into the policy then you don't really have a choice.

I prefer to pay a little more than the cheapest premium but I pay lower excess and don't have to pay a fee each time I change something.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
In this situation i always ask them to waive it, if they dont then i ask to speak to their manager etc etc, keep going up the chain untill someone does waive it.

Had a similar thing with RyanAir, the 'e' had been missed off the end of my mates name on the booking, so i called up to make the change (they always say it must match the passport etc), they wanted £95 to make the ammendment!!! Had to go up 2 chains of command before it was waived, the most ridicleous part was that if i just rebooked the flight it would have only cost me...£95....so they were basically trying to get me to buy another seat!!

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
My insurance tried to charge me last year when my plate was going through the transfer from my old car to my CTR but i told them before i insured it that id be doing it and they said they must have "lost the note" hmmm yer. They did waver the admin fee in the end

1 - 20 of 30 Posts