2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a very strange issue today on my way back from work.

Car was running normally for about 10mins of my 30 minute home journey- of which 20mins was in heavy traffic moving at 1 to 5mph.

I noticed first the headlights started flickering now and then (about 4 times before the real problems started). I then had total loss of power for about a split second while the car was moving at 2mph. VAS, ABS lights cam on dash- gears disengaged from 1st to neutral and lost headlights.

This happened twice and i thought its best to pull over-so maneuvered through the heavy traffic to a safe position. Just as i was about to park up to check the engine bay I get a gear cog on the display with an exclamation mark and loose any sort of drive.

I switch off the engine and wait 2 minutes. Restarted car and it starts up fine. Switched it back off and checked the engine bay- all looks ok.

Wait for a few more minutes and then return to my trip home. It was fine all the way home after that. I did notice the engine bay making a fan noise as if the AC is on even though the ac was off in the car. Engine temp on dash was at the 1/3rd mark as normal.

Now I haven't reset the battery yet and don't plan to until I get a ODB reader off ebay and check the diagnostic codes.

Car fully serviced last summer- hasn't missed a beat in 5 years until now.

I'm guessing the clutch overheated from the intense traffic which may have caused the loss in drive- but why did the electrics misbehave?

Any ideas?

ps. car has done 43k on the original clutch.

pps will this code reader be fine with the civic: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Acc...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3385627bcf

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what.. it was all down to a corroded earth point.

I borrowed a odb reader from a friend and it didn't show any errors. Which got me thinking it must be something else.

So after inspecting and discussing with a few friends I looked around then noticed the earth point was corroded.

So cleaned it out with grit paper, and re-bonded the earth point and voila- no more flickering lights and much smoother start.

such a simple thing caused so much issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts