2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to Talksport this afternoon and the debate was whether the TT should be banned.

I thought it could be an interesting debate for here (seeing as there are plenty of motorsport fans here).

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good idea for a topic. No way should it be banned, I understand that it is a very dangerous event with a lot of injuries and deaths. Although it is a shame that these accidents happen it is the choice of the riders to take part in the event. They know and understand the risks that go with the sport but they are doing what they enjoy doing and after all it is their decision, its not like they are forced into it.

It's the same with other dangerous sports like boxing and MMA for example, the main goal is to injure your opponent so that you can win. Again they decide to risk the dangers just to do what they enjoy doing. Plus you can't ban something if so many enjoy watching it too. I understand some people are not fans but if you don't like it then just don't watch it, simple as.

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
The TT is the craziest Motorsport event, blatantly riders are going to have accidents and get hurt, but at those speeds even on a purpose built track they'd still get injured in a crash.

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
It's a very dangerous sport but the riders know the risks and are giant thrillseekers, if you don't like it don't watch it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not a bike fan as such but I agree that its a dangerous event but like said before the riders know the risk they take. No one is forcing them into it.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
no one is forced to do it, same as boxing and most of the other highly dangerous sports. To say it should be banned is yet another liberal, tree hugging, enjoying yourself is bad, comment typical of the spineless enviroment that we now live in.

To suggest it is banned is ridiculous beyond reason. it brings in millions of pounds to an otherwise desolate lump of rock with a massive council estate on it, and god forbid, brings enjoyment into peoples lives.

Which tree hugger was it that suggested it be banned anyway? I thought Mary Whitehouse was long dead??

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If it was banned there would be a call to bring it back, probably due to the naturalality of it. Much more entertaing to ride (and watch) than a million riders riding round and "artificial" curcuit, god how tedious.

I wont wont watch GP lap after lap (yawn, although first and last laps are always amazing!) but TT is an awesome event, all the riders totally know the risks but "choose" to race!

Im a thrill seeker, I would if I was into it lol :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
No way should it be banned! Im not a biker, but i was at the TT on a boys weekender. and it was amazing!!! Like whats been said before its the riders who choose.

Better to die doing something you're passionate about than Hugging a tree!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
god help us.... will the health and safety Taliban never give up............... I have been to the TT 5 times..... couldnt this year and havent seen it but its sittiing in the sky plus for a session at weekend.... was readig this with one hand over my eyes in case anyone let slip results..... bottom line is simple. It is a sport.. yes its dangerous but so is diving (which i also do) rock climbig, parachuting and god knows what else. we are getting so risk averse... if these jobsworth idiots were about few years back we would never have flown, went to the moon, discovered half the world or probably boiled an egg... in case it set the house up or burnt our tongues!! It draws a wad of cash to the island, the teams employ people and people like to watch it. Its safety record is surprisingly good when you think about it..... Its one of the few bastions of old fashioned on the edge living... These peolple need to get a life.... and leave others to live theirs as they want to

·
Registered
890 Posts
doubt it will be banned. it is extremely entertaining the skill level is amazin!!!!! just because theres a chance people could hurt themselves isnt a reason to ban it. they do it of their own choice because they enjoy it (probs because of the adrenaline rush they get knowin that being that close to the edge something could go wrong) its no different from a boxer or mma fighter stepping into the ring they know the possible risks but do it regardless

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
As I understand, Olivers mount, Scarborough has the most mile for racing mile fatalities and no one has ever called for it to be banned, when I used to race I believed it was a fate thing, when your numbers up its time to go, whether racing or crossing the road.
I cant see them banning it anyway, it brings in to much money.
I used to race against Gary Johnson back in 2006, good to see him take his first TT win yesterday.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I dont know if it should be noted,
Results:
Superbike win, Honda
Supersport win, Honda
Sidecar win, Honda

:)

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts