2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

For a while now I've had an issue with filling up my car with fuel. My car is the 2.2 Diesel 07 Reg Civic SE

When inserting the nozzle and starting to fill up, I only get about 2 litres in before the pump clicks off. I can then wait a few seconds and get some more in before it clicks off again, as if the tank is full, which it isn't.

If I pull the nozzle out a bit and slowly pump fuel into the car so I can see it going down, I see it fill all the way up to the top of the pipe and then slowly drain down into the tank, along with some air bubbles popping up through the fuel.

So my diagnosis is that something is causing the fuel not to drain into the tank fast enough, has anyone seen this before? It started as an intermittent issue which I just got on with but is now becoming an issue for every fillup wherever I go (so it's not the pump). The other day it genuinely took me 5 minutes to get 6 litres of fuel into the car, something which the guy behind me was less than impressed with...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I contacted my local dealership and they said it may be the breather/filler neck and to replace it would cost almost £600

Regards,

Flobber

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Hi Guys,

For a while now I've had an issue with filling up my car with fuel. My car is the 2.2 Diesel 07 Reg Civic SE

When inserting the nozzle and starting to fill up, I only get about 2 litres in before the pump clicks off. I can then wait a few seconds and get some more in before it clicks off again, as if the tank is full, which it isn't.

If I pull the nozzle out a bit and slowly pump fuel into the car so I can see it going down, I see it fill all the way up to the top of the pipe and then slowly drain down into the tank, along with some air bubbles popping up through the fuel.

So my diagnosis is that something is causing the fuel not to drain into the tank fast enough, has anyone seen this before? It started as an intermittent issue which I just got on with but is now becoming an issue for every fillup wherever I go (so it's not the pump). The other day it genuinely took me 5 minutes to get 6 litres of fuel into the car, something which the guy behind me was less than impressed with...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I contacted my local dealership and they said it may be the breather/filler neck and to replace it would cost almost £600

Regards,

Flobber
Bit of a shot in the dark but you don't work for a company or know someone who does that uses and Endoscope to to see if there's any blockage?

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
I got a cheap endoscope off eBay, well worth a few quid

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also got a 4mm headed camera for my laptop , with built in leds great for looking at engine bores pistons through spark plug holes anyway , sounds to me like your getting a back pressure when filling up . , just an experiment stick some thin hose into the filler neck when filling up with fuel .

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, I think I'll grab one and take a look.

If I do find some kind of blockage, are there any theft-protection measures in the pipe? I'm really not savvy when it comes to cars and I'm assuming shoving a long 'ol pipe cleaner down the thing would be a bad idea...

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
No anti theft device police dip tanks they suspect of running red diesel all the time
Never been dipped once in a DERV Car but had the same company van for about 15 years and never got dipped once until it got to about 12 year old, I got stopped quite often and always got dipped.... Don't know if I'm being PC here but I think that the older the motor, the more the DFT suspect you live in a white house with two wheels and have Red Diesel running through your veins :grin2:

I persuaded that company that they needed to get a new Van when "Hope I'm not being un-pc" one of those people who knock on your door and ask if you want your driveway Tarmacked only to find a week later there are weeds growing through it knocked on my door asking if I wanted to sell it.... :wink3:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, I think it's definitely the breather pipe, the issue I'm having is locating the thing!

Here is a video of what happens

So I've been trying to find a diagram so I can pinpoint where the breather pipe connects to the main fuel pipe, but I felt around the area with a small pipe cleaner but couldn't feel a 'hole' anywhere...unless I was just being stupid!

The closest I've been to finding a diagram is LingsHonda parts but the moment you click view larger image the website breaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be awesome, my first try is going to be to get a long thin pipe cleaner and push it through as I wouldn't have the first clue where to look if I jacked the car up!

I did try finding the breather with a thin metal wire just so I knew where it was but couldn't find the hole for the life of me! So if anyone had any pictures of the correct part or diagrams that would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts