2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To have the boot 12v port connected to a live source without the need of the ignition?

Just wondering as I have a coolbox which is powered via the 12v output in the boot but it only runs when the ignition is on so it's only cooling for the time of driving.

Can it wired into any other sources in the fusebox?

Thanks.

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
I haven't looked , but can you run the power from the positive side of the boot light connector as that is always live as the boot light comes on without ignition?? that would be where I would start ...unless someone knows better:popcorn:

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I would imagine it's only powered when the ignition is on but I'm not 100% sure.

You could always plug a phone charger or something in to test it.

EDIT: Never mind, i completely misread your question there :facepalm:

I think there's very little if anything at all that's powered with the ignition off, at least not towards the rear of the car. You may have to run it straight off the battery?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I haven't looked , but can you run the power from the positive side of the boot light connector as that is always live as the boot light comes on without ignition?? that would be where I would start ...unless someone knows better:popcorn:
but isn't live when you shut the boot ;)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
If the light can come on with the ignition off then I would imagine the micro switch in the boot catch would always be live if this is the case?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
It might have power with the ignition off, but for sure it off when the car is locked.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
Is the Civic battery up to the drain ?

It seems it doesn't take much to flatten it. There have been posts of a few hours radio use with the engine off being enough.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Is the Civic battery up to the drain ?

It seems it doesn't take much to flatten it. There have been posts of a few hours radio use with the engine off being enough.
Exactly, especially the 1.8, the battery is really underpowered. The 2.2 is ok, but not sure what your CTR has in it?

Plus the MCIU will put the car to 'Sleep' after certain period, so your best bet would be to connect direct to the battery (Fused of course)

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im planning on replacing the battery soon anyway so that point doesnt really matter.

Had a feeling i would need a direct fused source from the battery, dont fancy doing that so will just live with it the way it is.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds like a plan.
Will try and source a battery
Was thinking of just using another car battery but dont want to carry that around.

why not fit a small battery such as a battery from a childs ride on car. Then you car charge it via the boot connection when you drive and it will run the cooler when you are away from the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts