2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apparantly theres a light that comes on when you go to vtec mode, never seen it. and yes we have been in the position where it should come on.
we take it to bout 8200 revs engine sounds are sweet but no vtec sign

oil - just over 4000 miles - needed new oil - is this right?

just under 4000 miles - stone in radiator should of cost somewhere in the region of £400. stone, radiator have you seen the size of the grill. AA said no, honda dealer said yes.

battery light came on - already!

have we got a dud! we found our local dealer - unhelpful, no loan car, not very willing.

whole experience, perhaps it should of been a focus

please someone tell me im wrong

·
Registered
90 Posts
hi

You have to turn the ivtec light on your in the options menu in the center of your rev indicator. Cant remember exactly what you do but its not difficult-check manual. Theres 2 similarly labelled options too, so make sure u turn the ivtec light on.

I thought mine was broken at first - but u just have to turn it on.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
You have to turn the ivtec light on your in the options menu in the center of your rev indicator. Cant remember exactly what you do but its not difficult-check manual. Theres 2 similarly labelled options too, so make sure u turn the ivtec light on.

I thought mine was broken at first - but u just have to turn it on.
Hi is the ivtec light only on the Type R..

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The tolerance is 1 litre per 625 miles. More than that and there is a problem.

In reality a correctly run in engine should make it between services without a top up (or maybe just one small one).

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
it is on the CHG Settings menu, aslo you have to turn on the ice warning too. Or rather i did.

it's quick and easy to do. it in the manual too :)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Like a dream

Nearly 2,000 miles now.
Still fantastic fun.
Has not used a drop of oil but I did run it in carefully, painful though that was.
Averaging 30 on a run and about 26-27 around town.
No faults whatsoever.................sshhhhhh.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just don't put the system into German like I did when i first went into it. Didn't know which button it was to cancel the highlighted German option, guess what , sod's law kicked in and I pressed the wrong one and made it "sprechender Deutsche". That was fun reconfiguring that one. :D

·
P1259 ODB-II
267 Posts
Don't forget chaps that your CTRs won't VTEC if you have a low oil level.

1) Make sure the VTEC light is up and running through the menu.

2) Make sure you keep an eye of that oil level. Keep it topped up.

3) The engine must be warmed up. A cold engine won't VTEC.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
Don't forget chaps that your CTRs won't VTEC if you have a low oil level.

1) Make sure the VTEC light is up and running through the menu.

2) Make sure you keep an eye of that oil level. Keep it topped up.

3) The engine must be warmed up. A cold engine won't VTEC.
very good points and unless you have a company car its not too clever to floor it when cold, also remembering that the temp guage is for water not oil so give it some extra time , oil takes longer to warm up , and VTEC is dependant on oil so keep it topped up [smilie=gt-happyup.: (even though its such a chore in this weather :( )

·
P1259 ODB-II
267 Posts
very good points and unless you have a company car its not too clever to floor it when cold, also remembering that the temp guage is for water not oil so give it some extra time , oil takes longer to warm up , and VTEC is dependant on oil so keep it topped up [smilie=gt-happyup.: (even though its such a chore in this weather :( )[/quote]

I remember when I worked for the Honda dealer, a kid had been given an EP3 CTR for a pressie by his dad. He rang up to complain that VTEC wasn't working all the time.

Turns out he was thrashing the car from cold and not giving it time to warm up.

When Andy Barnes (Sumo Power) was racing around Snetterton a few years ago he did have extra dials on the dash to tell him when the oil was too hot etc.... and when to cools the race laps.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I remember when I worked for the Honda dealer, a kid had been given an EP3 CTR for a pressie by his dad. He rang up to complain that VTEC wasn't working all the time.

Turns out he was thrashing the car from cold and not giving it time to warm up.

When Andy Barnes (Sumo Power) was racing around Snetterton a few years ago he did have extra dials on the dash to tell him when the oil was too hot etc.... and when to cools the race laps.
So are you saying that if the oil is too hot or not warmed up then the VTEC won't cut in and work properly?

I think that I've noticed this if this is the case, sometimes you can really feel the VTEC kick in and other times its really faint???

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
So are you saying that if the oil is too hot or not warmed up then the VTEC won't cut in and work properly?

I think that I've noticed this if this is the case, sometimes you can really feel the VTEC kick in and other times its really faint???
i dont know about too hot . ( can you get it too hot in normal " everyday" driving?? )
but on the fn2, vtec will pretty much engage a couple of mins after starting up , but its not good for your engine as the oil is still cold. just wait 10 mins then thrash her ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts