2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On all of the 1.8 VTECs I've driven, occasionally the engine struggles to start when pressing the button.

Holding down the button a bit longer seems to help it through the dodgy start, but it seems a bit weird.

Any ideas?

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Take it back and ask for another one :lol: :lol: :lol:

No sorry, the diesel starts perfectly every time.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kpow99 said:
Take it back and ask for another one :lol: :lol: :lol:

No sorry, the diesel starts perfectly every time.

Had it once on the diesel loaner as well. Quite odd... almost as though something else is loading the battery at the time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No problem on my 1.8 either. Starts every time. I don't really get the advantage of the start button though. I thought you just press it and it starts but You do have to hold it as long as you would have held a key in the ignition position. So what IS the advantage??

·
Registered
87 Posts
WonkySights said:
It's big, it's red, it's a button!
Quite! :p

It's amazing just how quickly you adjust to turning the key and then move the hand to press the button.

That move doesn't seem to work in my other half's HRV or the godawful Focus I had the misfortune to drive the other day, though. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just realised it happens to me when the car has been sitting getting hot in the sun all day.

Just takes ages to start and have to hold the button down quite a bit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine also took a bit longer than normal to start, had to press the button down for a quite longer than what im used to.. has only dóne this once, though i've only driven 700 km :)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to have gone away again now - only seems to happen when I am showing someone the car :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Didnt drive the car for a day, it was really wet and moist. Initially it started up just fine, i drove 200 meters went to a store and started again. Almost didnt start, the battery notice also ligthed up and the startup almost failed. Weird

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
pikkumies said:
I drove 200 meters & went to a store
Classic! :wink:

I guess it was just one of those crazy things that happen for no apparent reason with these new ECU controlled cars.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's definitely an issue. I don't know what it is yet, though.

Be so useful to be able to speak to an engineer who knows the car. The guys at the dealerships probably haven't a clue yet.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
One of the pitfalls of buying a new model unfortunately - the "technicians" do not appear to be able to fix anything even the "senior" top of the range variety from Honda UK!!

Bring back good old fashioned mechanics is what i say who dont rely on a computer to tell them the problem!! [smilie=giggle.gif] [smilie=giggle.gif]

Actually thats not fair - I expect there are a few good ones out there - somewhere - maybe?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Apparently the solution is to turn the key, wait for 3-4 seconds and then press start. Can't confirm this on mine (diesel) - anyone like to test (by trying a really quick start sequence commencing with the car locked)?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pottsy said:
Apparently the solution is to turn the key, wait for 3-4 seconds and then press start. Can't confirm this on mine (diesel) - anyone like to test (by trying a really quick start sequence commencing with the car locked)?
Where'd you hear that? Only does it on mine when it's been sitting in the sun.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It's a known problem on the US spec car. The sun can cause the fuel to vapourise, and so it needs a couple of seconds to build up the pressure again. Apparently.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine did another start-up struggle twice today :/. The rpm meter only goes to 500, then jumps -> 1500. Irritating, going to mention about it the next time when on service

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It happens when it's hot and the car has been sitting in the sun. Waiting longer between ignition and startup seems to help.

I've found that it DOES start even if you take your finger off the button (even though it doesn't feel like it will).

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Well mine has this problem to, happened a couple of times now.

I.m.o. it does'nt have to do anything with the weather though.

Got out of work today and it was raining (18 degrees Celcius), i always wait about 5 to 10 seconds before starting it up (put the key in pos. 2, put my seatbeld on and waiting for some dashlights to go off etc.) started the car and it ran at 300rpm for about 2 / 3 seconds then it jumped to 1500rpm.

I've never experienced this on my 2004 Civic Sport.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts