2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

iVTEC start up struggles occasionally..

Engine 
10K views 63 replies 36 participants last post by  Grayfox 
#1 ·
On all of the 1.8 VTECs I've driven, occasionally the engine struggles to start when pressing the button.

Holding down the button a bit longer seems to help it through the dodgy start, but it seems a bit weird.

Any ideas?

#5 ·
No problem on my 1.8 either. Starts every time. I don't really get the advantage of the start button though. I thought you just press it and it starts but You do have to hold it as long as you would have held a key in the ignition position. So what IS the advantage??

#64 ·
You do have to hold it as long as you would have held a key in the ignition position. So what IS the advantage??
It keeps my 3 year old nephew entertained he loves starting my spaceship.

He also likes the dash and its glowy-ness.

When i want him to have some fun I put the car in N with the handbrake up then i put him in the drivers seat and let him start the car and he loves to act like he is driving with the wheel.

But i only do this when the car is on a level bit of drive.

#7 ·
WonkySights said:
It's big, it's red, it's a button!
Quite! :p

It's amazing just how quickly you adjust to turning the key and then move the hand to press the button.

That move doesn't seem to work in my other half's HRV or the godawful Focus I had the misfortune to drive the other day, though. :lol:

#12 ·
pikkumies said:
I drove 200 meters & went to a store
Classic! :wink:

I guess it was just one of those crazy things that happen for no apparent reason with these new ECU controlled cars.

#14 ·
One of the pitfalls of buying a new model unfortunately - the "technicians" do not appear to be able to fix anything even the "senior" top of the range variety from Honda UK!!

Bring back good old fashioned mechanics is what i say who dont rely on a computer to tell them the problem!! [smilie=giggle.gif] [smilie=giggle.gif]

Actually thats not fair - I expect there are a few good ones out there - somewhere - maybe?

#16 ·
Pottsy said:
Apparently the solution is to turn the key, wait for 3-4 seconds and then press start. Can't confirm this on mine (diesel) - anyone like to test (by trying a really quick start sequence commencing with the car locked)?
Where'd you hear that? Only does it on mine when it's been sitting in the sun.

#19 ·
It happens when it's hot and the car has been sitting in the sun. Waiting longer between ignition and startup seems to help.

I've found that it DOES start even if you take your finger off the button (even though it doesn't feel like it will).

#20 ·
Well mine has this problem to, happened a couple of times now.

I.m.o. it does'nt have to do anything with the weather though.

Got out of work today and it was raining (18 degrees Celcius), i always wait about 5 to 10 seconds before starting it up (put the key in pos. 2, put my seatbeld on and waiting for some dashlights to go off etc.) started the car and it ran at 300rpm for about 2 / 3 seconds then it jumped to 1500rpm.

I've never experienced this on my 2004 Civic Sport.

#21 ·
Only experienced this once or twice, both after starting the engine for a short time (<1 min), then restarting again soon after. It is a known phenomenon to do with water vapour in the cylinders. I may be wrong, but I have heard this referred to as hydro-lock.

Keeping the button pressed for a few seconds does clear out the problem. I have never had the engine cut out or stall or refuse to start.

#23 ·
Had this happen this morning. I garage the car every night so I don't think it is weather dependent and would rather think it is to do with the fuel system either the pump hasn't got the pressure up or there is vapour in the fuel line after standing all night. Could be wrong and most probably am. :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.