2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone heard of or installed this throttle body on their FN2.
I cant seem to find any information on the internet about anyone installing it on their FN2

The price is almost 50% less than J37, and also there is 12% discount for it on tegiwa today...

I have RRC ported to 70mm

Little background:
I have Grams Skunk2 TB, with the RRC 70mm Inlet manifold.
After installing this TB few moths ago, and it was working completely fine.
Then few week after installing it, car started having idle issue, first only when cold, then even when not cold, after i stop at traffic light for eg. (knock count starts increasing rapidly, it reaches 150-200 in a matter of seconds). The moment i start driving it works normally..

Replaced it with factory TB, and problem completely disappeared.
So its definitely issue with TB

I have contacted gramsperformance customer support, but i haven't heard from then so far... :(

So now I'm considering buying either j37 or maybe j35y since it is a lot cheaper.

Also what would be the impact of just keeping factory TB, i guess it will be a bottleneck, since inlet is 70mm?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Unfortunately can't help with your question, but interested in the answer :-/
I'm assuming apart from porting the inlet manifold to remove the bottleneck that the pipe from the air box/filter is the same fit?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually I'm not sure about that pipe diameter, and i also don't know the size of input side of the factory TB, but pipe from filter is definitely larger than input of TB
I have Skunk2 CAI btw

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Skunk2 are known for issues. Had 1 tested on my car by prev owner when 1st launched many years ago. Had issues so was sent back as lot of people reported the problem. Revised version also had issues so it was dumped in favour of mugen.

As for OEM j tb it seems hit and miss.

Some have no issues while some do. Told by someone who has worked on 100's of fn that drive unit not fully compatible. I also think there way too big for anything bar boost. My rrc is also ported for both head and larger tb so I may try the toda

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
The J35 and J37 have different power requirements from memory.. there was a supposed case where the throttle body spiked the ECU killing the car... but I never read it directly from the owner.

The Spoon / Mugen / Toda is simply the FD2 throttle body that's been slightly opened up and polished (something you can do yourself with a Dremel) so not worth the price nor the hype.

What's the full spec of your car?

The main bottlenecks on the K20 are the on exhaust side so make sure you have a good flowing header and 3' exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
  • RRC inlet manifold, ported to 70mm
  • Skunk2 CAI, although for now filter is sitting in the engine bay, didn't manage to put it all the way down where it is supose to go because kit is made for US Si Civic
  • Tegiwa Header
  • Invidia exhaust, not sure which one, done by the previous owner, but it looks like it is 3", EDIT: 2.75" more likely, from quick search

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I had the same intake. But went to a closed air box as it floods a lot where I live.

With those mods it won’t really matter what throttle body you’re using.
The header and exhaust are good up to around 240 ish.

I’d get a FD2 tb and polish it. I’d also look into cams and a tune see what it makes and see what’s holding you back after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
FD2 tb is hard to find, there was one on ebay few months ago, i really regret not buying it then...

And upgrading cams needs dyno tuning afaik, and i dont have access to any dyno tuner that would know how to do that, so for now i probably wont be installing cams....

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Check out yahoo auctions in japan few fd2 bits knocking around.

You could use the remote tuning option for EcuTek. So not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please let me know if and when you want to sell it. I'm very interested in buying it. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts