2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning world,

My old man has been banging on at me for about 6 months now to take the DA to his beloved XF... so I did.

Now I don't have before or during pictures but trust me when I say that this car is a '58 plate and had swirls and scratches galore!

Process;

Power wash
Snow Foam - Magifoam
2BM
Wheels cleaned with vikan brush using snow foam then G101 then Tardis and Iron-X
De-Tarred - Tardis
Iron-X'd
Clay Bar (first time clay-barring a full car!)
2BM with Fairy/APC
Power washed
Dried with CG Woolly Mammoth
Taped off
Full car machine polished with DA using Scholl S17+ and a CG MF cutting pad
IPA wipedown
Vics Concours Wax
Plastics/Tyres treated with CG VRP

Looked smashing if I do say so myself...

Started the car - 11.00am
Finished the car - 8.30pm

I honestly don't know how you could manage a full correction in one day! I wasn't happy with the finish on this as the further away from the car I got, I could see hologramming. The swirls and majority of the small scratches are now gone though.

I should have done another pass with the DA using something like S40 and a finishing pad (cheers Shaun).

My dad was happy with it but I'll probably have another bash in a few months.

Thanks for reading and as always, any comments/feedback/CC is always appreciated.

Cheers
DP

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Good effort. I've got a Jaaag XF to wash today for my wedding. I don't have time to DA it, so I'm hoping it just needs decontaminating and sealing. Anything I need to know as a Honda-only washer?!

Reactions: Deadpool

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good effort. I've got a Jaaag XF to wash today for my wedding. I don't have time to DA it, so I'm hoping it just needs decontaminating and sealing. Anything I need to know as a Honda-only washer?!
If you're not using a DA then nah, there's no hidden surprises! It is a big, long car though :facepalm: I was shattered after it!!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I'm used to washing a CR-V, so hopefully it's about the same effort, minus the steps I need to reach the roof!

Let's hope the rain holds off.

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I mean I'm an absolute perfectionist and I was annoyed at myself for not giving myself more time to refine it. Don't get me wrong, the finish was great and to the untrained eye it would look perfect but not to me lol

All part of the detailing learning process I guess ;)

I'm just glad there are some top blokes in here that will point me in the right direction :)

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Yes..Nice job..Very hard paint ...will definately benefit from some finishing work
Heres an XK-R ....I recently worked on:

Jaguar swirl and small scratch removal via Scholl S17+ and compounding pad with refinement via a finishing pad and Menzerna Finishing polish
LSP was DodoJuice Supernatural Hybrid Sealer/Wax
Bloody hard work...Paint like Rock!!

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
looks like you've done a nice job DP. you are correct imho in saying about a perfect finish in a day, just not possibe. 80-90% in a day yes, but you can easily spend another day refining for a flawless finish. Well done for stating the truth buddy

·
haterz gonna hate
1,122 Posts
I have just got back from detailing an AC Cobra in Bedford!!

You can't do correction in a day, or two days. Swirl removal isn't "correction", contrary to the belief of many. Correction is the removal of all paint defects - which tbh, takes anything from 3-7 days.

Nice effort though, a bit of refining will sort it out. Just don't fall into the trap of nailing the paint with a heavy combo and tidying the mess up with a refining stage later - this isn't good practice.

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have just got back from detailing an AC Cobra in Bedford!!

You can't do correction in a day, or two days. Swirl removal isn't "correction", contrary to the belief of many. Correction is the removal of all paint defects - which tbh, takes anything from 3-7 days.

Nice effort though, a bit of refining will sort it out. Just don't fall into the trap of nailing the paint with a heavy combo and tidying the mess up with a refining stage later - this isn't good practice.
Thanks for that Matt. Always good to get some feedback from someone who actually does detailing for a living.

I usually wouldn't dream of touching a car with such a harsh combo without checking with a PTG but I was pretty sure of the hardness of the paint and my old man was happy for me to attempt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts