2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
His dyno reads about 3-5bhp lower than TDi's.

About 240 on his dyno was 243 on TDi's, people make fun of TDi's dyno but it's not a million miles off. Similar ambient temps on both days too, Chris is a top notch guy, took a long time to smooth out my part throttle.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
His dyno reads about 3-5bhp lower than TDi's.

About 240 on his dyno was 243 on TDi's, people make fun of TDi's dyno but it's not a million miles off. Similar ambient temps on both days too, Chris is a top notch guy, took a long time to smooth out my part throttle.
Yeah, definitely want to get it back over to him. Took time to explain things and just seemed like the car had more to give ... and I want it safe when going on track with little potential of running lean.

Got my oil pressure/temp gauge plumbed in today, think every knuckle is missing some skin!

Will get the sandwich plate and new oil filter fitted at GrinSpeed. Gone with a HAMP short filter to offset against the sandwich plate to keep the oil pressure where it should be.

Should be useful to have that extra data when it goes back for mapping.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Sandwich plate and HAMP short filter now fitted ...

1st sensor - Oil pressure
Idle when fully warmed up showing about 1.5 bar \ 22 psi
Full throttle full warmed up showing about 5.9 bar \ 85 psi

2nd sensor - Oil temp
Consistently between 85-90 deg C on the motorway and in traffic. I didn't check my water temp but previously in similar conditions it runs around 88/90 mark

3rd sensor - Under bonnet temp
Rather than use the 3rd sensor for another water temp reading, I decided to put this right near the stock intake box so I can see my under bonnet temp which could be quite useful on track

Then straight from Grinspeed over to EFI to get the map done ...

Ambient was around 18 deg C.

Did a few runs on the stock map first to get a baseline. That came out around 208 bhp.

Then did a few runs on my 'etune' to get another baseline and that came out around 210 bhp.

Chris mapped it from the stock map so we know its spot on and managed to squeeze 215 bhp from it top end which is pretty much what I was expecting, mid range looks great too. He said he started to get back pressure at the top end so had to back it off as the exhaust started to restrict it.

All looks good now and I can be confident giving it some beans on the track now with the AFR nailed down :)

BLACK line - EFI map
RED line - etune
BLUE line - Stock (with mods)
FAINT BLUE line - Stock (approx without mods)

Surprised how rich the stock map is ...

If you need your car mapping, go and see Chris at EFI, really nice guy and takes time to explain what he is doing and why ... and the charts speak for themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Nice one, always good to come away with a gain but more importantly have a good understanding of what just happened. Have to agree, Chris is good like that.

·
4,275 Posts
I had the earth on the rocker stud as above but it started to weep oil when I'm on the track.

I bought a longer earth cable and relocated it to a post on the right side of the rocker.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I had the earth on the rocker stud as above but it started to weep oil when I'm on the track.

I bought a longer earth cable and relocated it to a post on the right side of the rocker.
Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye on it.

Just off the subject slightly, what rear calipers are you running on yours? Does everyone generally run the OEM calipers? Grinspeed tried to fit the RS TRW ones and even though they look very similar in every way they just wouldn't fit correctly. Just wondering what options there are if any.

·
4,275 Posts
I use OEM rears which are fine with mid-range pads like DS2500 / PBS.

My fronts do overpower them on track after a while once the front race pad's bite increases making the rear a little loose but nothing terrible as long as you break in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
A few more bits completed.

Back seats removed, spare wheel removed and TRS harness fitted.

The eye bolt next to the centre console was a squeeze, but it just fit without 1mm to spare! ...

Door side ...

Could only get 1 bolt in the rear, which sits in the seatbelt location hole. I've left my seatbelt in anyway, the harness is only to keep me pinned to seat really.

The compromise is that the drivers seat only goes this far forward now ...

All nice and tidy ... and a bit louder :) ...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
So went over to Curborough Sprint Course on Wednesday to give the car a run out. I've never been before but a guy called Rich runs an FB group and does it once a month or something. £70 with a max of 15 cars.

Car was flawless and I think my best time was around 1:36 which was 2nd/3rd on the day, there were a couple of clio's there which did 1:37/38 i think. I think its the sprint route but we were setting off from a side gate rather than the official starting line.

Happy with that as I've not been near a track for 10 years and its the first time I've drove the FN2 hard. There was a guy called Ant in an old stripped out Silvia running around 250bhp that ran around 1:33 ... went for a passenger ride in that and it was serious fun ... and he is a cracking driver too.

I was probably pushing it 80%-90% so the car definitely had more in it ... and with a decent driver it could probably knock a decent amount of time of my time.

Late in the afternoon my part worns started to give way so had to call it a day. Next on the list ... track lessons and decent tyres! :) ...

Bridgestones on the back held up well to be fair ...

·
Registered
337 Posts
A few more bits completed.

Back seats removed, spare wheel removed and TRS harness fitted.

The eye bolt next to the centre console was a squeeze, but it just fit without 1mm to spare! ...

Door side ...

Could only get 1 bolt in the rear, which sits in the seatbelt location hole. I've left my seatbelt in anyway, the harness is only to keep me pinned to seat really.

The compromise is that the drivers seat only goes this far forward now ...

All nice and tidy ... and a bit louder :) ...

Dodgy mounting the Harness to that Seat at that angle chap.
Have a look at this - https://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/489421-mk1-frs-sparco-seat-alert.html

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Yeah I know, need a bolt in harness bar ideally, was just to stop me slipping around really.

I'll probably pop the harness back in the box until I sort it ... sounds like I need a proper seat too.

To be fair, it wasn't too bad on track this week with just the standard seat belt so will revert to that for now.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Harness back in its box until I get a seat and harness bar sorted ... didnt even realise the harness holes on a standard seat are just for show .. thanks for the advice @jasonstatus

Back at Grinspeed tomorrow for a couple of small jobs, gearbox oil change and fuel filter change (dont think either have ever been done on it) ...

Once its back going to look at ducting for the front brakes. The black scoops with the black bumper should look pretty good ... and I've got some black mesh for the inside hole ...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry bud. Some nice bits there and the Car is coming along nicely.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
What tyres are you planning to go for?
Just going to go with PS4's I think. Already got a set on my 'daily' wheels and just seem like a good all rounder. I know something like the NS-2R/AD08R/CUP 2 would be the best tyre for in the dry which I might look at in the future.

Costco are doing the PS4's for £78 a corner fitted at the moment if you buy 2/4.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Back in business from my day at Curborough :) ...

from these ...

to these ...

£78 a corner from Costco and service was top notch as always. There were a few cars already in the bay but they fit them in for me and were done and dusted in about 30 mins ... rang me just as we were paying for our stuff in-store.

All set for Oulton Park in October now. It's an open pit so going to keep a close eye on pressures this time, I think that is what caused the damage on the dunlops, albeit they didnt go over 37 psi (which I know is a bit too high). Probably start them on 27 or so, do 10-15 mins, come back in and check them. I've been told to try and keep them around the 30 mark ... will probably ask around on the day and see what others do.

No real point getting NS-2R/AD08R/CUP 2 tyres until I can actually make use of them. Got a few lessons lined up at Oulton so can't wait now!

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Aim for normal road pressures when hot until you can see what kind of wear the tyre suffers. Unless the PS4's have strong sidewalls, you could be rolling them over if under-inflated and that will lead to poor shoulder wear in no time. What day are you doing Oulton? I could do with getting another in this year, I have a couple of jobs to sort on the car first though.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Aim for normal road pressures when hot until you can see what kind of wear the tyre suffers. Unless the PS4's have strong sidewalls, you could be rolling them over if under-inflated and that will lead to poor shoulder wear in no time. What day are you doing Oulton? I could do with getting another in this year, I have a couple of jobs to sort on the car first though.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going over for a taster session on the 8th Oct (via MSV), think it was like £30 for sighting and then 20 mins or so of track time. Just fancied a run around it before doing the full day and I'm only 45 mins away. Then doing a full day on the 31st Oct (via Javelin), open pit, 3x 20 mins lessons and a garage for £199.

This is an interesting watch re PS4 performance on track vs PS4S and CUP2 ...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Went to Oulton today to give the car a run out before the full track day at the end of the month. Was spot on for £30, you go out first for a few sighting laps (no overtaking etc) .. but can give it a blip here and there. Then you get 1x 20 minute session whenever you want to take it, marshalls were spot on, basically look at your clock and take 25 mins if you want to which was plenty. Got a passenger ride in a Rotrex'd FN2 too, never been in one before, love the power delivery on those.

Was damp all morning so didn't push it as the back end was sliding a touch on a few corners. Saw an EP3 come off track with all its rear quarter smashed in, not sure if that happened today though, food for thought and all that!

On the flip side, amazing MPG down there due to all the 50 mph roadworks, could probably get shy of 50 mpg if you really tried ... not that you would want to :)

81 - 100 of 123 Posts