2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am having a problem with Honda over just having to change both my front Jazz tyres after only 13,000 miles. There seems to be a problem with the way the front of the car is set up( i.e. Steering and tracking ). However Honda say it is down to the past winter road conditions,and my neglect. Also, they think there is an issue with the tyres Dunlop supply. These comments where made by a Honda Customer Relations Manger. My Honda garage admitted that they are having Jazzes coming in with early front tyre replacement.

Dunlop say they aren't aware of any problems, and Honda haven't returned any tyres for investigation. They say that this type of unusual wear is down to the way the tyre is presented to the road.

I have had Hondas continually for the last 28 years, I have never had any problems with their cars, and I have usually managed to get around 34,000 miles from my tyres over those years. Now I am no longer a Honda Fan- Tyres at every 13,000 miles is a too expensive running cost.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Could be down to the tyre compound.
Could be down to camber of the wheels and geometry
Could be down to Road conditions
Could be down to Driving style (speed, town driving, braking etc)
Could be down to poor alignment
Could be down to Wrong pressures

Just a few examples of very common ways tyres deteriorate also swapping tyres from front to back mid way through tyre life helps them to wear slower (there is calculator on here somewhere).

Why did they change tyres mot failure? if so they should have recorded tread depths etc which would be on your paperwork! Never get tyres done at the dealers they are ludicrous with tyres!!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Could be down to the tyre compound.
Could be down to camber of the wheels and geometry
Could be down to Road conditions
Could be down to Driving style (speed, town driving, braking etc)
Could be down to poor alignment
Could be down to Wrong pressures

Just a few examples of very common ways tyres deteriorate also swapping tyres from front to back mid way through tyre life helps them to wear slower (there is calculator on here somewhere).

Why did they change tyres mot failure? if so they should have recorded tread depths etc which would be on your paperwork! Never get tyres done at the dealers they are ludicrous with tyres!!
My Honda garage admitted that they are having Jazzes coming in with early front tyre replacement.
Or it could be that there is a problem with the Jazz.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Had same problem with my Wife's 1.4ES after 14500 miles, inside edge of 'BOTH' front tyres almost down to Canvas.

No joy at Dealers, had to replace both Tyres and immediately had APB Motorsport at Shavington, Nr Crewe (I live nearby) carry out a complete alignment check and adjust the settings.

No sign of problems after a further 10,000 miles.

ABP were very thorough and took their time in finalising the final set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wheel alignment made all the difference to my tyres. Here's my experience:

Dunlop SP31s as original equipment on my '59' GE Jazz. Excess wear AT 13,000 miles on just the inside inch of the front tyres. Those inside edges would have been worn smooth by 18,000 miles. Wear like this suggests toe-out.

Honda technician measured the tracking as 'OK' as he/they had done a few thousand miles earlier, too, when I initially expressed concern at the wear rate of the inside edge.
odd that he thought it OK, I thought.

At 13,000 miles I had them realigned. And 'rotated' to rear bringing evenly worn rears to front.

Of course, tracking is not supported by warranty and I took it to an independent tyre fitter who quoted half Honda's price for the realignment. I watched the whole job and the technician, referring to a chart, pointed out the mis-alignment. Not great but probably enough to wear the tyres on that inside edge, he said.

WHEEL ALIGNMENT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE TO THE WEAR OF MY FRONT TYRES... 12,000 miles later (now at 24,650 miles) and I still have my original Dunlops all round while the fronts are perfectly evenly worn. 30,000 miles life likely.

On any car I have owned, when both front tyres are wearing one side of the tread more than the other, wheel alignment has always fixed it. Much cheaper than ignoring it and replacing tyres very prematurely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts