2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asimo Date : 25.08.2012

Day 1 of JDR's Log

Well, just finished loading up the car, after repacking stuff as compactly as possible ...

I was a bit worried about the space needed - but the car just swallowed it, with room to spare ! :cool: ...

Magic rear seats up, heavy stuff on the floor, long stuff crossways on top - remaining cartons etc. and my baggage in the boot - I only used, in total, about 2/3 of the available space :D ...

The attached picture shows the heap - with my luggage and fuel can and portable power pack \ compressor still to come ...

Off to catch the car ferry to Denmark, in a couple of hours - WHOOH HOOOH !!! ...

Attachments

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that a bar b cue in that pile?? Not had mine out all summer. Good luck with the trip.
It's two fire bowls - they hang on chains under a tripod - real camp fires that leave no traces behind - and if you use charcoal and the grid you see, you can have a BBQ ...

·
ivtec just kicked out,YO!
1,007 Posts
I had to transport some big piles of stuff few times, and Civic never lacked the space. It is unbelivable how much stuff you can fit in that car!

So where will the tour take you?

Good luck on the trip !

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Be careful of those passenger ferries this time Ridders!

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Ahhhh RIDDELL coming to invade out country again.

I have to do this sorry:

RIDDELL RIDDELL RIDDELL RIDDELL RIDDELL.......... RIDDERS!

Reactions: leepickering16

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
See you soon JDR

Be careful on that ferry :)

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
looking forward to more updates :)

hope your trip is incident free this time :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
All the best with the trip, and do keep us all informed if you can

·
JAE 2012 "cleanest car"
2,464 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you derek, have a safe journey (the fire bowls sounds great !)

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Look forward to seeing you again uncle derek! have a safe trip!

Reactions: J. Derek Riddell

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to transport some big piles of stuff few times, and Civic never lacked the space. It is unbelivable how much stuff you can fit in that car! So where will the tour take you? Good luck on the trip !
It's all in my "Mods 2012" Thread in the 'England Midlands Meets' section

Reactions: Yassian

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have an itinery Derek?
Sure do - in my "Mods 2012" Thread in 'England Midlands Meets' Section (near the beginning)

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Asimo Date : 26.08.2012

Day 2 of JDR's Log

Landed at Hirtshals on the North coast of Denmark at 09:00 and headed South - Danish Motorways are just superb and the standard of driving is generally very good indeed

Thence into Germany on the Autobahns - A7 & A1 route generally - and arrived at a Hotel in Essen at 21:00 - 12 hours on the road, including a few stops for leg stretching / food / fuel / etc.

The standard of driving there was quite appalling - tailgating in the overtaking lane(s) when the driver in front had no space to move to the inside lane, generally way to little space between vehicles, 'flogging it' in torrential downpours so heavy you couldn't see more than 30 metres

All that, and the huge amount of roadworks, led me to often take parallel routes through the local towns and villages - a bit slower, but at least I didn't get killed in some humungous multi vehicle pileup !!!

p.s. - unused space in car filling up nicely with crates of beer :cool:

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crates of beer?? man up and fill it with something more exotic jdr ;)
Trust me, already taken care off ! - that was packed into the lower boot, before I left Norway :D

Reactions: coste1l

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Day 2 sounds RIDDELL! The last part especially. think I'll have to invest in some superb German Weissbier and bring that along for JAE.

Reactions: leepickering16

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Asimo Date : 27.08.2012

Day 3 of JDR's Log

Left Essen in Germany about 10:00 - short spell on the Autobahn (still horrible driving), then on to the smaller A & B roads, to get the feel for the 'real' country and drive through some small towns and villages ...

Did the same through the Netherlands (excellent drivers) and Belgium (a blend of road anarchy and chaos !) and then into France (they aren't so bad, just erratic and unpredictable) ...

To some up the visual impressions of the countries I've driven through and the buildings and people etc. :-
  • Denmark - pretty
  • Germany - ugly
  • Netherlands - charming
  • Belgium - boring
  • France - shabby
Anyway, I'm now in a Hotel in Dunkerque, and on the Ferry tomorrow morning - as I got here early, I tried to change reservations, but all the evening boats were 100% full ...

The good bit is, that despite the load I've got on board, my Civic is running like a train - about 1.5 hours of hard "Italian Tuning" each day, works wonders ! ...

In fact, because of the load, the car has never looked lower - the back was (as normal) some 5mm higher at the back - now it actually looks more like 5mm lower :cool: ...
xxx

Attachments

Reactions: wanner69
1 - 20 of 270 Posts