2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Jerking Gear Change

5K views 48 replies 5 participants last post by  VapeLife 
#1 ·
Need some ideas and opinions on the current issue.

Its a Manual 1.8 2011 Si 68,401 Miles, Serviced beginning of Jan with Honda parts ie oil filter and air filter. Oil was Castrol Edge 0w30

Had the car for 1yr and half and its been perfect couldn't even feel a gear change it was that smooth but about two months ago the car has started jerking when changing gear when lifting the clutch back up. I thought it was down to not having a long run but i did a 260 mile trip Wednesday but its not got any better. Sometimes its almost not there at all and other days its every gear change around 20% fine and 80% Jerking.

All fluids are full like the brake/clutch fluid

Tried going up a steep bank in 4th flooring it but the rpm rises with the speed so it doesn't seam like the clutch is slipping.

Cold engine is better but still there, 5th to 6th almost no jerking at all.

Doesn't matter if i lift the clutch fast or slow with light accelerator or heavy.

So any help or thoughts would be helpful

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Maybe the Clutch Master Cylinder, have you checked for obvious leaks?
If you start to get squeaks down there from the pedal, it's likely to be that.
Intermittent problem could be a sign of air in the system which would happen if the CMC were to start failing.
It does sound similar to the feel of mine before I got the CMC changed, even down to feeling it less the further up the gears you got.
You'd probably want to try something like a Gearbox oil change first if not already done so but it sounds like you are ontop of that.

#4 ·
I've checked for leaks today and there is no obvious leaks but i do get the clutch creaking/squeaking.
The fluid dosent look new but its not dark. I've never changed the fluid so cant say when it was last changed.

Also never done the gearbox oil i thought that was at 75,000

I was thinking of changing the gearbox oil and replacing the clutch fluid just to see if it makes a difference.

#7 ·
Had someone rev the car while i checked the engine and no movement or twisting.

I have ordered some clutch fluid and gearbox oil so will get that done as soon as it turns up.

Also gonna check and grease the brakes all round as ive been getting the rears sticking on in the morning.

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry for not posting the day after my last post me and my misses suffered a horrible loss so just had to take some time for us so everything got put on hold.

I have done the gearbox oil today and it is a bit smoother but its still jerking but i would say its 40% less than it was. Gonna get the clutch fluid done tomorrow.

#13 ·
UPDATE

So, so far i have changed

Clutch fluid, Gearbox Oil, Spark plugs and its still jerking on 1st,2nd and sometime 3rd.

Its a good job i changed the clutch fluid i thought it looked fine until i took the lid of and it was full of like thick gray sludge so that was cleaned out and completely flushed.

Its takes me back to when i was learning to drive its that kind of jerking,

I did notice when i did the plugs that two of the coils had a crack in the plastic casings so next is to get them replaced and if that is not the issue then the only other thing i can think of it being is a bad Clutch / Flywheel

#14 · (Edited)
UPDATE

So, so far i have changed

Clutch fluid, Gearbox Oil, Spark plugs and its still jerking on 1st,2nd and sometime 3rd.

Its a good job i changed the clutch fluid i thought it looked fine until i took the lid of and it was full of like thick gray sludge so that was cleaned out and completely flushed.

Its takes me back to when i was learning to drive its that kind of jerking,

I did notice when i did the plugs that two of the coils had a crack in the plastic casings so next is to get them replaced and if that is not the issue then the only other thing i can think of it being is a bad Clutch / Flywheel
If I were you I would be looking at the Clutch Master Cylinder before you look at the Clutch itself or Flywheel, didn't you say you have a squeaking pedal as well?
It's a common fault.

#15 ·
Yeh i do get some squeaking from the cmc depending on the weather it seams to get worse when it is cold and wet when i have the heaters on the feet.

I will be getting a cmc ordered tonight as they are only 114.65 from cox. Is the cmc a simple enough job or a pita,

#19 ·
Just my luck got the part today and made sure to check the numbers on the box and they have gave me one for the 1.4,2.2 and the crv but not for the 1.8 so going back in the morning. It seams like no one can get hold of the right part and a genuine one is just silly money.

#21 ·
i am trying to avoid OEM but everyone local to me cant get hold of any apparently all there suppliers dont have them. And the one place i did find one turns out to be the wrong part.

Also can anyone confirm the correct part number as COX list it as 46920SMGX95
Hondadirectparts list it as 46925-SMG-305 and autodoc has it listed for 46920-SMG-X91 so all list them as honda oem number but they are all different.

#24 ·
Finally found a dealer that would give me the part number and they say its 46925-SMG-305 but i cant find anything with that number. They said they could get me one for 193.50 but had got a 6 week wait time as it has to come from Belgium.

I dont know why honda parts are so hard to find every other car ive had you could ring any one and get a part the same day.

#26 ·
#28 ·
Thats the one was just hoping i could get one a bit cheaper, i managed to find one here for 72.44 You are being redirected...

they have said it will fit but i arnt sure. So i got to decide if i spend the extra and get one from hondadirect or a cheaper one but not 100% guaranteed to fit.
I'd trust them
TDI North used them to supply the spark plugs they listed on their website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.