2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if there's already been a discussion on this, but can't find it on the Search.

Basically, when I first start my Type R in the morning (or when the the engine hasn't warmed up), the ride is jittery.
By this I mean that in 1st and 2nd gear, if I'm not accelerating (i.e. constant throttle or foot off the throttle), the car noticeably (albeit minor) rocks back and forth.

However once the engines warmed up a bit, this isn't a problem. I don't think it's anything to run to Honda for, just maybe some sound advice/reassurance from you guys.

Is this the same for everyone else?

I didn't notice it at first, and my old EP3 never had this.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Mine was the same, as was my EP3 iirc.

I just put it down to the lower gears being more sensitive/responsive.. any minor change in revs is gonna make the car jump/lurch to some extent especially from cold when the revs sit slightly higher.

When driving in 1st gear (heavy traffic i assume) i got into the habit of coasting to make the ride more comfortable for passengers instead of keeping on the gas.

It is possible to solve this, but you need a very light foot

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeh mine is rough as a dogs arse when cold, just wait till we get some more -10 degrees again this winter :(

Sent from my mobi :)

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
Having read the other threads , because I thorght I had a problem many months ago, I found it to be normal to many members with an FN2 ... dont worry..

Alan..

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Tis normal mate, mine runs smoother from cold on high octane fuel (v power or similar) but for the cost of a tank these days I'm prepared to live with it!

As has been said just go easy on the throttle until warmed up and best to avoid revving to vtec in that time too.

Cheers

Nick

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Totally normal for this engine. Just let it warm up a bit first if you can or keep the revs low and go gentle on the pedal for a bit. I think filling the engine mounts helps if you really dont like it... worth doing any way if you have the time

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Run a couple of cans of 'BG44K' through the fuel system - 1 can per tank of petrol ...

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
yup... plus one for me as well. It worried me wjen first got the car but is normal. i never v tec till warmed up

Reactions: harhay

·
Registered
684 Posts
Its because the car has been setup to warm up as quickly as possible to make the catalyst as efficient as possible for emission purposes.

The car has a high idle and runs loads of ignition retard and this generates heat which warms the catalyst.

·
9,228 Posts
no need for this imo... this is normal for the car so dont waste your money...:eek:
It's not "normal" - although it is common - BG44K & CF5 will make any petrol engine idle smoother ...

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
It's not "normal" - although it is common - BG44K & CF5 will make any petrol engine idle smoother ...

Any petrol engine!!! thats a broad statement...:rolleyes:

it works good on cleaning fuel systems and carbon in cylinders i agree but the Fn2 jitters when cold and would not improve his car if he run this through his system... or the % is I would be correct..:D

·
9,228 Posts
Any petrol engine!!! thats a broad statement...:rolleyes:

it works good on cleaning fuel systems and carbon in cylinders i agree but the Fn2 jitters when cold and would not improve his car if he run this through his system... or the % is I would be correct..:D
Well, it helped an ex colleague's CTR, for sure ...

"Man up" and try it !!! :cool: ...

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
Well, it helped an ex colleague's CTR, for sure ...

"Man up" and try it !!! :cool: ...

Tel you what ... get the op to try it and if it makes a difference I will pay and if it doesn't you pay....Man up then? :D

·
9,228 Posts
Tel you what ... get the op to try it and if it makes a difference I will pay and if it doesn't you pay....Man up then? :D
DEAL ! - fix it up :D ...

I've actually got a can of both BG44K and CF5 sitting in my front porch right now :cool: ...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear it's the same for everyone. Now I can tell people it isn't my driving that's giving them whiplash!

·
Slow Driver
1,418 Posts
Rest assured, it's not just the CTR's that do it... ;) mine feels whiny, like my girlfriend.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Glad I found this thread as I'm a Type R noobe & mines the same.

I was considering changing the plug gap.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
The car has a high idle and runs loads of ignition retard and this generates heat which warms the catalyst.
Is there any need to resort to name calling.. harsh

1 - 20 of 34 Posts